1964 convertible adding hydraulic fluid

D
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
does anyone know where to put hydraulic fluid in the pumps for the top? It is pretty slow and some one mentioned putting in more flu.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

There should be a place on the piston cylinder if there isn't a separate reservoir. Most hydraulic Jacks have them on the side somewhere, just unscrew and add a little as you don't want to overfill it. But if it is leaked out you should fix the leak first.

I updated your thread title to something meaningful.

I would recommnd changing your fluid if it origial fluid be brake fluid and if spilled will eat your paint I was recommended to use transmission fluid on my 62 convertible

Yes there is a screw on the end of the pump motor. Unscrew it and fill it with type F transmission fluid only. Do not use brake fluid. Run the top five or six times and loosen the screw each time to let the air out. That’s proper bleeding. There is no way to open the cylinders to bleed the system.

Quick question on this bleeding process. Do you cycle the roof with the screw in place tight each time, and then lossen when the roof is back in place? Many thanks

Back