1964 brake pedal wont return | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1964 brake pedal wont return

• Thread starter Thread starter DreamTracie
  • Start date Start date

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Might be the shaft the brake pedal rides on is rusty. You can try lubing it and work it in

Hi guy I hope I’m doing this right I have 64 third 2 door hard top .My brake pedal stays down when I push on the brakes I’ve had the booster rebuilt installed new master cylinder and brake lines front to rear why is this happens?

Hi guy I hope I’m doing this right I have 64 third 2 door hard top .My brake pedal stays down
The only thing you did wrong is creating a new thread when there was already the exact same question asked as recently as Monday. I merged your post with that topic. When you were created your post it showed you the similar posts.

Screenshot_20220910_084625.jpg

I'm no expert but the return spring in the M/C is not enough to push the pedal back. There is usually a return spring on the pedal mount and it may have disconnected when there was no tension on it.

Brake pedals don't have a return spring. The springs in the drums are responsible for that.

Brake pedals don't have a return spring. The springs in the drums are responsible for that.
I beg to differ, my '57 has a big ass spring at the pedal hinge point. The springs on the brake shoe backing plate are only strong enough to keep the shoes retracted and can not possibly produce enough force to push the pedal back up.

I beg to differ, my '57 has a big ass spring at the pedal hinge point. The springs on the brake shoe backing plate are only strong enough to keep the shoes retracted and can not possibly produce enough force to push the pedal back up.
The big spring does pull the pedal up keeps the brake light off and assists mc some . But springs on the brake shoes causes reverse hydraulic pressure if the brake system is working properly and pushes the master cylinder back to its original position and pushes the brake pedal up . But the guestion as I understood it was was probably why when he pushed down it went to the floor if he ment why it wouldn't come back up if he didn't have his foot on it . The answer is the same . Needs more bleeding the master cylinder can actually circulate the brake fluid inside its self or i have seen this once the person forgot to put the mc pumping rod back in .

Back