1964 390 w/Autolite 4100 not getting fuel into carb

amillego
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I'm working to get my '64 running and have replaced the fuel pickup/sending unit, fuel pump and all of the rubber sections of the fuel line (including the one behind the splash shield in the front wheel well). I've also blown out the line all the way from front to back and vice/versa. I got some old fuel residue during that blowout but it wasn't much. When I tried to start her with starting fluid, she barked and ran for a second or so but would not continue to run. I disconnected the fuel inlet line at the pump and attached a secondary gas can/line and tried again. Same result. After each of the two option tries, I disconnected the inlet line from the front of the carb and it was totally dry...no evidence of gas getting there. I checked one of my photos from the day I purchased the car and it looks like I've got the new pump connected the same way as the original. Is it possible that the new pump might have the inlet/outlet holes reversed?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Yes, it's certainly possible. When I replaced the fuel pump on my 64, the aftermarket pump had the inlet and outlet ports reversed.

You can disconnect both fuel lines, then have someone crank the engine while you hold your finger over each fitting hole. One of them should be sucking like mad. the two ports on the fuel pump should be labeled with an I and an O. it's nearly impossible to see this when the fuel pump is on the engine. Note you should disconnect the coil before doing this test.

Follow-up to my post...
The fuel inlet/outlet ports were indeed reversed from the original fuel pump. Switched them and, voila, gas to the carb. Thanks again for assistance!

Back