1964 390 overheating

I agree 114%!!! My 64 390 would run good and sometimes hot as the devil's butt crack. Everyone here swears thermo stuck closed...I replace it with a fail safe thermo. Supposed to stick open if there is trouble. The next drive it is hot. Long story short. After 2 fail-safes that stuck in high flow, I learn that (and none of the elders here will believe me) In the 390 if there is no restriction to slow the water and give it time to cool in the radiator. It stays 220, 350, 490°. And I will put money on it!!!
Not all Oldtimers disagree, the reason the t-stat has a small hole is to slow the water flow, it they wanted the 2-1/4" opening it would have been a ball valve type t-stat. So you are correct, most cars don't care, some do.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I agree that if the radiator and hoses are good, including the spring inside the return hose, then it may be a head gasket installed backwards. The gaskets are marked FRONT where they must be facing the front of the motor. One will appear to be upside down when installing, but it is correct as long as the FRONT marking is proper.

Not all Oldtimers disagree, the reason the t-stat has a small hole is to slow the water flow, it they wanted the 2-1/4" opening it would have been a ball valve type t-stat. So you are correct, most cars don't care, some do.
Thank you sir!!! If you was here I would shake your hand. Well twice because I have manners. Hi how you doing and then a Thank You Sir. Lol

I must disagree, Fast water flow is in no way not have enough time to cool. Clogged radiator if original. You would not believe the crust that occurs internally over the years but you can still see flow when the cap is off. .
That's cool Mr. Ward, you don't have to understand me. And yes I know how bad the build up gets and most cars/ engines love the mass flow. ??. Science still says that a bee can't theoretically fly, but I've seen it and yes I understand it 98% of cars won't get hot if it didn't have a thermostat cuz I've seen it it's so goes the story

Back