1964 390 engine Carburetor electric choke

D
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am looking for suggestions on a new carb. Please let me know if anyone has experience on a carb they have bought that they would recommend.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

We've had discussion early this month on that same subject. Eldebrock seems to be the winner. Other valued club members have warned to use a spacer though when replacing with the original 4100. I just rebuilt mine and it was super easy and not that expensive. Let me know how it works for you. Take care and Happy Cruisin', Dan (Forest Hill, Md.)

We've had discussion early this month on that same subject. Eldebrock seems to be the winner. Other valued club members have warned to use a spacer though when replacing with the original 4100. I just rebuilt mine and it was super easy and not that expensive. Let me know how it works for you. Take care and Happy Cruisin', Dan (Forest Hill, Md.)
Thanks Dan, did anyone say which model Edlebrock that they purchased?

They seem to say 600 cfm eldebrock. The spacer info I screen shot for ya. But I just rebuilt my orginal 4100 by buying from the same guy that does the youtube video. My 64 390 is running terrific now. Also found a cheap soaking cleaner once you take the carburetor apart. Pine sol original 50/ 50 water. Cheap compared to $25 can of Gunk Carburetor cleaner.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180430-204826_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20180430-204826_Chrome.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1
I replaced my, 4100 with a Holley 680 years ago and I have not regretted it. I noticed an improvement in acceleration and fuel mileage.
They seem to say 600 cfm eldebrock. The spacer info I screen shot for ya. But I just rebuilt my orginal 4100 by buying from the same guy that does the youtube video. My 64 390 is running terrific now. Also found a cheap soaking cleaner once you take the carburetor apart. Pine sol original 50/ 50 water. Cheap compared to $25 can of Gunk Carburetor cleaner.

Do you know if the 64 has shocks or struts in the rear? I’m clueless when it comes to suspension.

I personally have not heard of a 680 Holley. I would use a 600CF carberator myself. Anything higher then that , you start getting into over consumption of fuel/air mix to the motor. I had 65 Mustang 289 with some upgrades. Torker intake, 351 heads, mild cam and I put on a 650 CF Holley. That worked perfectly with the upgrades to the engine. A non-upgraded engine, 600 would be more then suffuient.

I personally have not heard of a 680 Holley. I would use a 600CF carberator myself. Anything higher then that , you start getting into over consumption of fuel/air mix to the motor. I had 65 Mustang 289 with some upgrades. Torker intake, 351 heads, mild cam and I put on a 650 CF Holley. That worked perfectly with the upgrades to the engine. A non-upgraded engine, 600 would be more then suffuient.
Thanks for the advice.

On checking the carb it is a Holley double pumper Street Avenger and it was described as 680 CFM in the invoice. Still very happy with it even if it doesn't exist (LOL) :)!

It goes like stink.

Hi all. I've been running a Holley 600 cfm carb on my stock '64 and earlier this month I replaced it with a Holley 670 cfm "street avenger" vacuum secondary carb. I'm happy with the power increase and no sign that the carb is too big. We'll see how we do on gas mileage but that's not my main criteria.

Curious when you replaced your carberator with the 670 cfm Street Avenger. Did you add the spacer, or did you pop off the old 4100 carb and plop that 670 right on? I rebuilt my original 4100 and The car runs fine but there isn't any power behind it.

Hey Dan, thanks for the call earlier today. Good stuff!

I think but am not sure that the Autolite 4100 is a 600 cfm carb. Possible that the lack of power is because of a malfunctioning accelerator pump but there certainly could be other issues going on as well, for example the power valve isn't working or the main jets are clogged. Like we talked about today, the Holley 670 cfm street avenger will fit right on and you'll never look back. Spacers supposedly increase horsepower and torque, so by all means use a spacer. I've heard they make them out of phenolic thermal insulating resin which helps to insulate the carb from the heat of the motor, which is a good thing, so that's what I would look for.

One thing we didn't talk about today is to make sure that your accelerator linkage is correctly hooked up. When I got my car, the accelerator linkage was in the wrong hole in the carb linkage, the result was that the carb was not opening all the way and the vacuum secondaries were not opening. Also, there's a procedure in the shop manual for checking to make sure your linkage is correctly set up. It starts with making sure the your accelerator pedal in the car has 4+ inches of throw. Same procedure covers adjusting the kickdown mechanism so when you mash down on the accelerator, the car downshifts into from third to second or second to first. More scoot...

One more thing, recommend going with vacuum secondaries on your carb versus a double pumper. But there are arguments both ways you can read about on the dark web.

Doug

Back