1962 Knocking sound coming from rear axle area | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1962 Knocking sound coming from rear axle area

• Thread starter Thread starter Dan Monroy
  • Start date Start date
Dan Monroy
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I heard a knocking sound coming from under the car, my friend things that it might be the differential, the sound is coming more from the rear right tire area, I removed the wheel and everything seems to be good, I also lifted the rear of the car and put it in drive and it didn’t make the noise ! Any idea what this noise could be ? The car drives fine is just that annoying sound like if I had a flat tire or something, any help would be appreciated thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Please include the model year of the car in the subject on figure posts. I have added this for you.

First thing to check is the universal joints. The one at the rear is possibly going bad. If that checks out then look into the wheel bearing.
(Axle shaft removal required for that one)

I had a knock in my 66. Rear axel. Slight leak at the passenger side. Pulled the axel to replace the seal. The axel had a groove worn into it. We polished it out and replaced the seal. Then checked the diff. The diff was almost dry. I’d inspect there if the u joint isn’t loose.

Yep I would go with the 2 other guys, check your rear Universal Joint, and if I were you I would do it sooner rather than later. The UJ breaking at any speed is not good as the prop shaft will almost certainly come out and cause a lot more damage.

First thing to check is the universal joints. The one at the rear is possibly going bad. If that checks out then look into the wheel bearing.
(Axle shaft removal required for that one)
I lifted the car and try to shake the tire up down and left and right and it seem
I had a knock in my 66. Rear axel. Slight leak at the passenger side. Pulled the axel to replace the seal. The axel had a groove worn into it. We polished it out and replaced the seal. Then checked the diff. The diff was almost dry. I’d inspect there if the u joint isn’t loose.
i did put oil in my differential it was almost dry as well so I will the axle the thanks

If it makes the sound while making a turn , check the wheel bearing on the outside wheel. Especially if it makes the sound turning more one way than the other.

To check wheel bearings, place the rear axle on jack stands with the tires at least 8" off the ground, chock the front wheels and place the car in drive with the engine idling and parking brake off. If one tire is spinning slower than the other, it could be a tighter brake or or a bad wheel bearing. I use a 3' 2x2 to rest on the floor and lift into the tread of the tire to slow the tire. The other tire will speed up. If the noise increases with tire speed it is usually the outer wheel bearing. Repeat test on other side.

Back