1962 Strange fluid leak behind rear passenger wheel.

A
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all,

Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed, what appears to be oil, but I am not certain, dripping on the the garage floor behind the rear passenger wheel. It appears to be running down the inside of the rear body work and then collecting and dripping down from the rear side of the wheel arch. Any one any ideas where this could be coming from ?

Many thanks in advance !

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Take a look at the area where the brake backing plate bolts up to axle. If it looks wet your axle shaft seal is leaking. You should make sure it's oil and not brake fluid before you drive the car again.

If your car is a convertible, the liquid is probably Fluid from your reservoir in the trunk. Otherwise, it could be the rear axel seal which won't drip on your Brake shoes since there is a slot that will allow it to escape w/o damage to your brakes.
Just some ideas.

Does your '62 have body drain tubes that collect & drain water from near the base of the large rear window?

Thanks - looks like the fluid is Reddish, so more likely that is the issue, I will take a look this evening. Appreciate it.

Hi all,

Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed, what appears to be oil, but I am not certain, dripping on the the garage floor behind the rear passenger wheel. It appears to be running down the inside of the rear body work and then collecting and dripping down from the rear side of the wheel arch. Any one any ideas where this could be coming from ?

Many thanks in advance !
possible rear bearing seal leak. Check the differential oil level. If low it's most likely caused by a bearing seal leak. is there any signs of oil on the rim/tire.

possible rear bearing seal leak. Check the differential oil level. If low it's most likely caused by a bearing seal leak. is there any signs of oil on the rim/tire.
He said it was red. Most likely hydraulic fluid as Alphawray stated. Brake fluid or rear end grease is not red. he didn't even mention it was on the backing plate where those would show up.

Back