1961 updated bullet bird

Bigbob
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
This 1961 Thunderbird has benefitted from a significant number of restorations and improvements. The high-gloss maroon paint, wide whitewalls on spoke wheels and generous use of restored chrome draw eyes like a magnet. This “bullet bird” has a unique design that is more like a design study prototype than a production car. Some people see this design as a landmark, others don’t care for it. Since you are reading this, we can assume you are with the former group.

The interior of the car is perhaps more impressive than the exterior. The two-tone maroon and black custom leather interior matches the exterior. New headliner, dash and carpets use the same colors. The dashboard is the original highly stylized wrap around design and all of the instruments work, although full disclosure, the clock runs fast. Power windows, seat, steering and brakes all work well. The radio appears to be the original, but is a modern radio with auxiliary input. The factory air-conditioner has been converted to the new freon and keeps her cold even in Florida.

I know, collector car guys want to know what is under the hood. It is the original big block 390 which has been rebuilt with a mild Elderbrock cam, aluminum intake, Elderbrock four barrel carb and electric fuel pump. The three speed automatic transmission appears to have been rebuilt but I am not sure. It shifts smoothly. The engine starts and runs well. The stainless steel exhaust and flow through mufflers give this elegant looking Bird an excellent big-block hotrod rumble. My wife hates it but I think it’s cool.

The Coker wire wheels and wide white walls run true and are in excellent condition. Disc brakes have been added on all four wheels. Extra shocks have been added to the rear to improve handling.

When you open the trunk you get a feel for the extent of this cars restoration. It has been professionally re-carpeted and it is perfectly clean.

The underside of the car appears to have been restored and under coated. There is no rust.

I bought the car from an estate and was not able to get documentation on its history. I do know that the last owner had it for about five years after he purchased it at a Mecum auction. The owner previous to him owned it for 14 years. I have owned it for two years.

Condition is everything. This car is a very high-end driver and will be a hit at your next car show. There are no dents or dings. The car is not perfect but you have to look pretty hard to find flaws.The car was presented at auction as a frame off restoration. I cannot document that but when you look at the underside of the car it appears to have been re-assembled with new hardware. This is a car you can drive and enjoy the day you buy it. I’m sure the new owner will find things to improve and fiddle with, but there are no outstanding maintenance issues that I’m aware of. The original owners manual is included.

What’s it worth? I found The car at the 2016 Orlando Mecum auction but did not get a chance to bid on it. The high bid was $25,000 ($27,500 with fees). 25K did not reach the reserve so no sale. I bought a few weeks later from the estate. The asking price does not reflect investments that have been made in this car. This is a chance to own a unique and beautiful collector car for an entry level investment.

Bob Carrier, 321-773-8140, bbcarrier@*******

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Back