1961 Thunderbird intake manifolds

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1961 Thunderbird. Does anyone know of an aftermarket/performance 390 aluminum intake manifold that allows the use of original valve covers? I called Jegs and edelbrock and no one knows who makes one. I want to upgrade my original four barrel iron manifold but need to have the oil filler tube in the front left side.

I have a 1961 Thunderbird. Does anyone know of an aftermarket/performance 390 aluminum intake manifold that allows the use of original valve covers? I called Jegs and edelbrock and no one knows who makes one. I want to upgrade my original four barrel iron manifold but need to have the oil filler tube in the front left side.
The valve covers should not be an issue. You probably know this but changing the intake manifold requires removing the pushrods on the FE series of engines and the attended rocker arm loosening and re-adjustment after the intake is installed. The cast iron intake weighs about 40 pounds and is awkward to remove or install with the hood on due to the weight.
good luck, J.

the change isn't a big deal, I just changed mine, just have to be careful sealing it up at the back, the FE engines are bad for leaking oil there..... the big problem is finding one, when I was talking to elderbrok they used to make them back in the sixty's but haven't produced them in years, which leave only used, ford also made some aluminum ones but they are rare

This could be a good read it you havent read it already..
https://www.diyford.com/ford-fe-engine-intake-manifolds-ultimate-guide/

They write about the Blue Thunder FE intake and say: "It is the only current aftermarket dual plane to include all of the oil fill and vacuum port provisions found in factory Ford intakes."

Which is what you want for a 61 in order to use the original valve covers.

There is some discussion on fitment here: http://fordthunderbirdforum.net/******/viewtopic.php?t=11634

I have no experience of this intake myself, just relaying information I've read...

Back