1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice

1961 Thunderbird intake manifolds

Discussion in '1955 - 1966 Classic Ford Thunderbird' started by joshua r, Oct 10, 2019.

1. I have a 1961 Thunderbird. Does anyone know of an aftermarket/performance 390 aluminum intake manifold that allows the use of original valve covers? I called Jegs and edelbrock and no one knows who makes one. I want to upgrade my original four barrel iron manifold but need to have the oil filler tube in the front left side.

2. jack-in-sac

jack-in-sac Well-Known Member Lifetime Donor

The valve covers should not be an issue. You probably know this but changing the intake manifold requires removing the pushrods on the FE series of engines and the attended rocker arm loosening and re-adjustment after the intake is installed. The cast iron intake weighs about 40 pounds and is awkward to remove or install with the hood on due to the weight.
    good luck, J.

3. the change isn't a big deal, I just changed mine, just have to be careful sealing it up at the back, the FE engines are bad for leaking oil there..... the big problem is finding one, when I was talking to elderbrok they used to make them back in the sixty's but haven't produced them in years, which leave only used, ford also made some aluminum ones but they are rare

Help us by sharing/liking this page!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!