1961 Ford Thunderbird Engine Frame Issue | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1961 Ford Thunderbird Engine Frame Issue

• Thread starter Thread starter GeekOdyssey
  • Start date Start date
G

GeekOdyssey

Click here to upgrade
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I acquired a '61 Thunderbird in the past year and it’s engine had been replaced with an 80’s 5.0 HO from a GT Mustang. The original 390 is still in great condition, it just needed it’s valve seals replaced and the old owner wanted another engine in there in the meantime. Unfortunately, the Thunderbird only ever had a wide-block engine which means there was never a need for Ford to make it a bolt-on bracket but rather a simple weld. The owner before me cut the frame to make the new brackets fit a small-block engine rather than the big-block. The issue is that none of my local shops are willing to attempt to do the weld job to get the frame where it needs to be without the dimensions needed for said frame. I was wondering if the dimensions were recorded somewhere so that I can get the engine put back in? I bought an OEM shop manual for it and no dice. I really don’t want to have to restomod the car when I have a perfectly good original 390 ready to be put in.

fyi: I know a bit about this kind of thing but not a whole lot. My mechanic who used to work for Mercury in the 70’s filled in the blanks for me. If I’m off in someway, I apologize.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You may just want to return your TBird to original motor and that's valid, but I think the 5.0 small block has a lot of advantages over the 390. For one thing, the stock 390 weighs 650 lbs, about 200 lbs more than the 5.0. A stock 5.0 should deliver over 200 HP and there are so many power adder options that it can easily deliver more HP than the stock 390. Just food for thought.

Hot Rodders do this type of engine swap all of the time. You have the 390 and its mounts. Have you talked to a shop that does Hot rod engine swaps to see if they can do it for you? If it were my car, I would put the 390 in it. I had a 57 Ford that I put a 66 390 in back in the day. It was a very powerful and reliably engine.

good luck,

Back