1961 Carburetor Recommendations Holley 4160 600 cfm

Bob63

Bob63

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I need to replace the carb on my ‘61 and am looking at the Holley 4160 600 cfm electric choke unit. Is this a good choice? If anyone has done this I’d appreciate your comments on how well they perform.
Thanks in advance.

Great choice! Been there done that, more than once. Just make sure to take the time to properly rejet the carb. I normally use Mr. Gasket reusable bowl and metering gaskets for the front side of the carb. The rear has a non adjustable metering block.

I need to replace the carb on my ‘61 and am looking at the Holley 4160 600 cfm electric choke unit. Is this a good choice? If anyone has done this I’d appreciate your comments on how well they perform.
Thanks in advance.
Great choice! Been there done that, more than once. Just make sure to take the time to properly rejet the carb. I normally use Mr. Gasket reusable bowl and metering gaskets for the front side of the carb. The rear has a non adjustable metering block.
Thank you for your comment. Where did you connect electric choke wire?

I have hooked it to the positive side of the coil one some,( my boat most recently) and run others to the accessory side of the ign switch or to the accessory terminals in the fuse box.
My boat has no accessory power and my '61 I did over 30 years ago and I don't remember how I did that one specifically.

Thank you for your comment. Where did you connect electric choke wire?
I have a 12v converted '55 and connected the electric choke wire to the 12v / input side of the ballast resistor.
A '63 should have a Pink resistor wire as an improved version of the older under hood ballast resistor. That Pink wire may be under the dash or the hood, I don't know for sure.
It's shown in the upper left of the diagram at the link below.
A new (fused) connection to the *Ignition* terminal of the key switch would work but not the Accessory terminal, so the electric choke isn't heating up if you're only listening to the radio.

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/tOCMP/wiring/5765wiring diagrams/Ford/MWire5765-221.jpg

Attachments

• 12v Ignition wiring diagram, ballast resistor.jpg
    12v Ignition wiring diagram, ballast resistor.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Ign switch terminals, copy.jpg
    Ign switch terminals, copy.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 2
Thanks in advance.
The 4160 pretty much approximates the original Autolite 4100 the factory put on your 390. I have found after doing 3 of these that the Road Demon 650 bolts on perfectly, was setup perfectly out of the box all 3 times (I just did minor idle adjustments, the jets were perfect, sight glasses to set the bowls, throttle cable was perfect length) and gives you a bit more punch than the 4160. And btw Demon carbs ARE actually Holley, and our moderator will be MORE than happy giving you a sponsored link to their sale on Amazon. They sell below the 4160 last I checked (a while ago) too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back