1960 430L Won't start!

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Bruno94
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I recently bought a 1960 Ford Thunderbird 430L and it ran fine when i bought it and then i had it towed to my residence and then drove it to where i parked it, then the next day i tried starting it and it will turnover but wont start! I put more fuel in it and tried jumping it but it still won't start. I'm looking for all the help anyone has.

Try spraying brake cleaner down the carburetor crank it over if it fires up it is a fuel issue, if it doesn’t start then It is an electrical issue. Let me know what you find out.

Worked a long shift today so i brought the battery in to oreillys to get a reading, turns out its fine. took the air cleaner off the engine and pulled the lever on the carb and no fuel was going into the carb. Tomorrow i'll try the starter fluid in the carb. But i believe it's already a fuel issue.

I recently bought a 1960 Ford Thunderbird 430L and it ran fine when i bought it and then i had it towed to my residence and then drove it to where i parked it, then the next day i tried starting it and it will turnover but wont start! I put more fuel in it and tried jumping it but it still won't start. I'm looking for all the help anyone has.
there are 2 wires that plug onto the solinoid by the battery, check to make sure they are making good contact. check fuel filter try shooting a little starting fluid into the carb and see if it tries to start, if so, disconnect fuel line from carb and turn engine over to see if you are getting gas to carb, if not the pump is probably bad

another thing hit me. the detent plate in the steering column are prone to wearing out and you have to pull up a bit on the shift lever to get it to start. just another possibility

Check for spark at the coil if you have spark there check spark to plugs while cranking if you have spark there check timing if that is good check to see if you are getting fuel to carb

If the car started the day before, the timing wouldn't change, unless the distributor drive gear broke or the timing chain moved. The distributor would have to be pretty loose to move and offset the timing. Fuel availability and good spark to the plugs (coil and distributor, wires) are good places to look.

Back