1960 352 Oil Pan Gasket replacement

89chargedbird

89chargedbird

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Greetings All,
Has any of y'all replaced the oil pan gasket? If so, would you please tell me what needs to be done. I am asking if I need to raise the engine, or any other show stoppers.
Any and all information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I believe the engine needs to be raised. Undo the motor mount bolts, put 2x6 on jack and lift the engine. Put blocks between motor mount and engine to hold it up. Make sure fan does not hit radiator or shroud. You may have to disconnect some of the steering linkage. Sometimes the crankshaft needs to be rotated for clearance. Thats the cliff notes version.

I have not had any luck pulling off the oil pan in one of my birds. Now to be fair I have not owned a 60, but the problem has always been not being able to drop the pan low enough to clear the oil pump pick up.
I have always had to pull the engine. Best of luck to you.

On a few Chevy's I would lower the oil pan and remove the old gasket. Then I would "fish" the new gasket in the oil pan around the oil pump. Does this seem plausible?

Yes it does, good luck!

Back