1959 Slips From Park Into Reverse by Itself | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1959 Slips From Park Into Reverse by Itself

• Thread starter Thread starter analogue_dsp
  • Start date Start date
analogue_dsp

analogue_dsp

Click here to upgrade
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
It was a nice day out, so I went to fill up the old girl with gas. After, at the pump, I decided to put the top down. I was told by the previous owner to always have it running to help the pump out when putting the top down. So...started her up and then took my time opening the back up and extending the rear trunk. Started the top down and got about 1/2 way when I heard a "click click click" and the car shifted itself into reverse from park all by itself. I jumped over the closed door, grabbed the ebrake with all my might, and pulled. Car had gone about 15 ft. before I stopped it. Thank god no one was in the way.

Cracked a rib landing on the drivers window which was open about 2 inches. After checking to make sure the TBird wasn't actually a Plymouth Fury in disguise, (as in 'Christine') I looked this up online, and it is a common occurrence because of the design. I went out and tested this theory, and sure enough, occasionally the car does shift from park to reverse when running after a minute or two. I had previously noticed sometimes it doesn't always go into park, but into reverse, but didn't think it would slip. Good to know. I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone solved this issue such that a parked car stays in park when running?
2. Are there other "gotchas" I should know about this model? This one seems like a pretty big one which could have easily killed someone or worse yet damaged the car (j/k).
3. I now have a crack in the drivers door glass. I found it cheap enough online, at "Macs" but not sure if they are a reputable store or not. Is there a list of approved sellers you all keep?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Your shifter is likely worn, easy fix. I just fixed mine but still don't trust it in park. Luckily I can swing my steering column which locks it in place (1964). Very common issue. Sorry you had to find out the way you did.

Yes, what RedDropTop said. If you have the vacuum release e brake feature, you might consider disconnecting it until your shifter is sorted. There should be a manual release lever on the e brake mechanism you can use in the meantime. And, carry wheel chocks.

It was a nice day out, so I went to fill up the old girl with gas. After, at the pump, I decided to put the top down. I was told by the previous owner to always have it running to help the pump out when putting the top down. So...started her up and then took my time opening the back up and extending the rear trunk. Started the top down and got about 1/2 way when I heard a "click click click" and the car shifted itself into reverse from park all by itself. I jumped over the closed door, grabbed the ebrake with all my might, and pulled. Car had gone about 15 ft. before I stopped it. Thank god no one was in the way.

Cracked a rib landing on the drivers window which was open about 2 inches. After checking to make sure the TBird wasn't actually a Plymouth Fury in disguise, (as in 'Christine') I looked this up online, and it is a common occurrence because of the design. I went out and tested this theory, and sure enough, occasionally the car does shift from park to reverse when running after a minute or two. I had previously noticed sometimes it doesn't always go into park, but into reverse, but didn't think it would slip. Good to know. I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone solved this issue such that a parked car stays in park when running?
2. Are there other "gotchas" I should know about this model? This one seems like a pretty big one which could have easily killed someone or worse yet damaged the car (j/k).
3. I now have a crack in the drivers door glass. I found it cheap enough online, at "Macs" but not sure if they are a reputable store or not. Is there a list of approved sellers
Check out fordthunderbirdforum.com. Someone there reproduces detent plates. Almost always the problem w/ that generation. They also have opinions on vendors which might interest you. Everything I've ordered from Mac's has been fine and service has been stellar. Good luck!

3. I now have a crack in the drivers door glass. I found it cheap enough online, at "Macs" but not sure if they are a reputable store or not. Is there a list of approved sellers you all keep?

When the 59 slips out of park it is because there is wear/play between the lever and the transmission, the most likely spot is at the shift arm at the bottom of the steering column. Until you fix things, NEVER leave the car with the engine running unless the parking brake is firmly applied,. (If the parking brake works correctly!) Your door glass is flat safety glass and can be cut using yours as a pattern at most glass shops that do automotive work. They might even be able to install it.

Back