1959 convertible restoration

M

mark costello

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 59 convertible that I want to start restoring. I'm looking for some lessons learned from others that have done a restoration. Before I really start this I want to learn tips and process from others as well as build it on paper first then go for it. Any information will be greatly appreciated. The status of my car is as follows. The car is now a stripped down roller. The body was done many years ago and is still acceptable. No wiring,glass or interior. Im on the fence with going with a newer computer motor and trans, thou I have a few 390s and trans sitting around along with a complete stock 1960 doner car if needed. I want to have an air suspension so I can adjust height and disc brakes to be able to stop. I also have a 66 for parts, was thinking maybe the brake system might be of some use for the 59. I want to stay looking pretty stock with a few modifications primarily to add some improvements to make it a nicer comfortable weekend driver. All ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

A '59 is a cool car. But it's your car and you should build it to suit you. I think in order of assembly you should do the brakes first. Go disk. Look into Wilwood.
Wiring would be next. Then get the top working. I would then tackle the drivetrain. Where you go from here depends largely on your pocket book. A later computer engine would make a nice carefree driver. However nothing sounds like an old big block. Keep a book on all of the aftermarket parts and accessories that go in the car. Keep it in the car. Above all have fun and post pictures. Did your car come with a 352 or 430? I wouldn't use brake parts out of the 66, there's way better out there.

74 harley, thank you for your input. good suggestions. Regarding the 390 verses computer motor I agree and I like HP and old school sound especially cammed sound I would definetly build a nice 390 or try to find a 430 just for fun. Carefree low maintence is a big plus so I dont know with the car being torn down so far its the best time to change to newer moter and a 5 or 6 speed trans. Your right about the brakes, wildwood is the way to go. I would like to start out with all new wireing, Im guessing will have to have that made up according to the build. Any ideas on that? Happy new year to all

I am thinking that if you go with a computerized engine that you would be able to get a plug and play system. That would require minimal modifications to an original type harness, if at all. Other than charging system there are just 3 wires for the engine. (If memory serves me, temperature,oil pressure, coil). A lot could be said for a newer engine. Ever consider a V10? There's plenty of room...

Back