1957 Wire Wheels Fit Disc Brakes?

Steve Springer

Steve Springer

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Do Wire Wheels fit over disc brakes???

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

When you post of the forum, you do not need to include the make/model of your car since we are an all Thunderbird site. Also, posting a vague title like "1957 Thunderbird Disc Brakes" is not going to get as many results. Please summarize your future posts. Updating now.

model-year.jpg

You may want to give Hills in southern Ohio a call
They have done many disc brake conversations on small birds

Already have them installed.

Do Wire Wheels fit over disc brakes???
Are the wheels from Kelsey-Hays? Check with the wheel mfgr. I put Mags on my 55 and installed a set of disks all the way around. I suggest you check also with Wilwood. I do not have their calipers but I do have their master with proportioning block. Another suggestion is to contact Amos Minter in TX and Hills. Both of them do restos and they are usually quite helpful and generous with their knowledge.

This is a challenging question; my expierience is that every parts supplier states that the disc brake converstion will not work with '57 14" wire wheels. I spoke with Hill's and was told that it varies and that they sometimes use a spacer to make them fit. If ordered a conversion kit from classicdiscbrakes.com (888) 376-0771, and they make a special kit that they claim kits, without any modifications. I purchased the kit and in the process of installing along with an entire front end rebuild. I'll report back once completed.

Back