1957 vinyl vs canvas soft top

D

Dave H

Dave H
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
What are the pros and cons of vinyl soft tops vs canvas tops? Is one any easier than the other to raise and lower? What about durability? Also, am I correct that vinyl was the original soft top for 57s?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My white ‘57 has a black fabric top and just keeping it super clean is like rolling a lint brush on a black suit when you have a shedding dog. It does look elegant however as @CSPIDY said

For clarification: I haven’t worn a suit in 35 years !!

Mine originally was Coral Sand with a white hard top and white vinyl soft top and tonneau cover. It would be interesting to know how many of which combination of cloth or vinyl were built.

Mine's black canvas on a 55 tbird blue it's shot want to change to white vinyl in the future way down the road. Too much to do for now to deal with it.

If you actually drive the car and use the top then a Haartz Stayfast top is the way to go, hard to tear or puncture, nearly impervous to mildew or stains, creases come out easily after its raised a while....

Back