1957 trunk release from inside.

Ward 57

Ward 57

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Went out tonight to put something in my trunk. Turned the key and nothing. The release has apparently given up the ghost. Thank heavens I'm small so I can pull up the rag top and crawl into the trunk. What do I need to take with me besides a good light? would just a screwdriver be enough?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Went out tonight to put something in my trunk. Turned the key and nothing. The release has apparently given up the ghost. Thank heavens I'm small so I can pull up the rag top and crawl into the trunk. What do I need to take with me besides a good light? would just a screwdriver be enough?
a screwdriver might work. Or Needle nose pliers. You can see a rod thru the hole that you would use to access the back of the lock assembly. That rod goes between the lever on the lock assembly and the release on the trunk latch. Pull up on the rod and it should open. If you can't see any rod not sure what to advise other then fish for the rod.

Sockets, extension(s) and wrench, probably 1/2 bolts that hold the latch to the body. Not sure of the size of the bolts.

Sockets, extension(s) and wrench, probably 1/2 bolts that hold the latch to the body. Not sure of the size of the bolts.
I don't think I need to remove the whole mechanism. Just the release then I assume I'll have to replace the core with the latch on the end and then have it re-keyed.

I tinkered with it today and it seems to be working fine. Somehow I forgot you have to turn the key almost 1/2 turn and I was only doing it 1/3. Got the trunk open then shot some oil into the mechanism. Never the lock itself, graphite only for that & speedo & tach cables.

Back