1957 T-Bird Fuel Filter Bracket Bolt Torque?

• Thread starter Billy-Bird-FiveSeven
  • Start date
B

Billy-Bird-FiveSeven

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I want to install original style fuel filter and fuel lines from fuel pump to carburetor. This includes installing the fuel filter bracket assembly. My question is, does the bolt that holds the bracket need to be torqued to a specific spec? If so, what is that spec? Photo attached.

Also, based on further research it appears I have a replacement carb. Does this look correct and I would then need the attached fuel line?
Thank you for your help!
Fuel Filter Bracket Bolt.jpgFuel Line - Replacement Carb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If the carburetor isn't OEM, it's as close as you're going to get. The fuel line looks like those sold by T-bird vendors which clears the OEM/reproduction air cleaner, when the replacement carburetor is used. Your fuel filter is an aftermarket universal filter.

Do you mean the bracket that is mounted on the intake that holds the fuel line ? If so, then the torque is the same as any intake bolt. I don't have the figure but the shop manual should have this. You would need the fuel line shown when using the later carb

Hi, 23 -25 ft lbs for manifold stud. DO NOT over tighten as a sheared off stud on the inlet manifold requires a bit of work.

Last edited:
If the carburetor isn't OEM, it's as close as you're going to get. The fuel line looks like those sold by T-bird vendors which clears the OEM/reproduction air cleaner, when the replacement carburetor is used. Your fuel filter is an aftermarket universal filter.
Correct, it is an after market fuel filter. I am planning on replacing with the OEM style with glass bowl. Thanks!

I don't think you have to worry about torque. It's an outside mounting bolt just like the throttle linkage. Hand tight should do the job. Next job would be cleaning up the vacuum lines. They should pair up in front of the valve covers.

Last edited:
I don't think you have to worry about torque. It's an outside mounting bolt just like the throttle linkage. Hand tight should do the job. Next job would be cleaning up the vacuum lines.
Agree with you regarding the vacuum lines. That is on my to do list. Thanks for all the info and guidance!

Agree with you regarding the vacuum lines. That is on my to do list. Thanks for all the info and guidance!
Is yours an early '57? Mine was built the first of Feb when they were transferring from the '56s . Mine is and still has the rubber hose from the brake booster going to the manifold. I sent CASCO my original metal line that goes from the fuel pump around the side of the engine to run the wipers and comes into the side of the fitting on the intake manifold and re-oriented the rubber hose to come in from the top. Just like original for an early '57.

The bolt that was noted in the picture is NOT an outside mounting bolt. It the foremost bolt that holds the intake to the head and should be torqued to the proper spec.

I don't think you have to worry about torque. It's an outside mounting bolt just like the throttle linkage. Hand tight should do the job. Next job would be cleaning up the vacuum lines. They should pair up in front of the valve covers.

Is yours an early '57? Mine was built the first of Feb when they were transferring from the '56s . Mine is and still has the rubber hose from the brake booster going to the manifold. I sent CASCO my original metal line that goes from the fuel pump around the side of the engine to run the wipers and comes into the side of the fitting on the intake manifold and re-oriented the rubber hose to come in from the top. Just like original for an early '57.
Vin number says 29th of May.

The bolt that was noted in the picture is NOT an outside mounting bolt. It the foremost bolt that holds the intake to the head and should be torqued to the proper spec.
You my friend are absolutely correct. I was thinking something else.

I want to install original style fuel filter and fuel lines from fuel pump to carburetor. This includes installing the fuel filter bracket assembly. My question is, does the bolt that holds the bracket need to be torqued to a specific spec? If so, what is that spec? Photo attached.

Also, based on further research it appears I have a replacement carb. Does this look correct and I would then need the attached fuel line?
Thank you for your help!
View attachment 15592View attachment 15593

That fuel line and fuel filter are not correct, should be a metal top filter w clear bowl. Fuel line should be a hard line w a bracket that goes between vac. Line and fuel line

Yes, I bought a replacement carb 40+ years ago. It had the side feed fitting also. Keep it. It may not be original but was actually an upgrade. My carb pro likes the metal compression fittings at the carb but I like the aftermarket gaskets but as they do need a little after install re-securing them as they swell. Casco # 9229 $.79 x 2. Make sure you use a socket to tighten an not a spanner wrench. The nut and attached filter are brass and can deform. Mine came with a metal line all the way to the fuel filter But I see a connector on the other end. If it fits straight to the filter yah ! As close to original as you can get. Maybe even better in aesthetics and performance.

Yup that looks good. my rubber hose runs all the way to the manifold, but being built in May it appears they decided to go with metal and re-configured the vacuum line for the wipers to over the intake manifold. They were messing with the plumbing all the time at that time. Like you noticed the only thing missing is the standard to help support the filter. The only thing I see missing is the heater control valve.

I'd be more concerned about the plastic filter. Like the glass after-market ones, they can be dangerous. The correct ones aren't that expensive. It also looks like you can take off the adapter to the rubber line and hard-line it right into the carb.
20180725_224116.jpg20180725_224121.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be more concerned about the plastic filter. Like the glass after-market ones, they can be dangerous. The correct ones aren't that expensive. It also looks like you can take off the adapter to the rubber line and hard-line it right into the carb.
if you will look at his progress pictures, he has appeared to do that. Just wants to attach the standard.

That fuel line and fuel filter are not correct, should be a metal top filter w clear bowl. Fuel line should be a hard line w a bracket that goes between vac. Line and fuel line
You are correct! I am in the process of procuring parts to convert over to the OEM style filter housing with the hared lines. Just placed an order for a fuel and vacuum line kit. Next I will get the filter housing assembly and then beging the conversion.

Back