1957 Steering wheel very difficult to turn | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1957 Steering wheel very difficult to turn

• Thread starter Thread starter 57DukeofAle
  • Start date Start date
57DukeofAle

57DukeofAle

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
It is very difficult to turn the steering wheel. The reservoir is full of fluid. It was working a few weeks ago. Any ideas?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It is very difficult to turn the steering wheel. The reservoir is full of fluid. It was working a thenlifew weeks ago. Any ideas?
Possibly the belt is loose or the steering gear is low on oil or one of the lines is collap

It is very difficult to turn the steering wheel. The reservoir is full of fluid. It was working a few weeks ago. Any ideas?
Did this happen all of a sudden or has the steering become harder to turn over time?

If this happened all of a sudden; check for fluid leaks and make sure the fluid is at the proper level. Make sure the belt tension is adjusted properly. If you still have no power assist then the cause could be a collasped hose, the power steering pump is not putting out the proper pressure (700 to 900psi), a defective check valve in the control valve housing, a defective control valve or a defective power cylinder.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Sounds like your Power Steering pump might of went out. Check to see if your hose are ok. I don't think there is much more. Have you googled your problem. You might get lucky and find the problem. Good Lucky,let us know what you find.

I opened the steering gearbox and it is dry. What is the best gear oil to replenish it with? I have Box2 Synthesis High Pressure Gear Box and Clutch Fluid and the bottle is unopened.

I opened the steering gearbox and it is dry. What is the best gear oil to replenish it with? I have Box2 Synthesis High Pressure Gear Box and Clutch Fluid and the bottle is unopened.
I never heard of Box 2 gear box fluid - so I did an on line search and found it is for snowmobiles and other 2 stroke engines... So no I personally would not use it.
Factory spec was straight 90 weight if I recall correctly. If your box is dry the seals have failed. The new oil will leak out over time too. The "cheat" for folks who didn't want to do a proper rebuild their steering gearbox or to postpone the rebuild was to use chassis grease instead of gear oil.

Last edited:
Back