1957 sealing timing cover

ShelbyGTH
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1957 312 and when I take the top bolt out of the generator bracket , antifreeze pours out, my question : is that normal? how would a bolt seal (and not leak ) without any gasket ? Any advice is helpful.
Thank you, Ron Leaks.jpg

I've updated your title "1957 timing cover question" to summarize what your question is.

I've updated your title "1957 timing cover question" to summarize what your question is.
It appears that your water pump gasket has been compromised! The “proper” fix would be to replace the gasket. A quick fix would be to drain the radiator below that point, insert RTV and put the bolt back in. Since it didn’t leak on you when the bolt was in, it should be ok with the exception over time the bolt may rust. Writing your article at 5:00 in the morning, the problem shouldn’t be anything to lose sleep over.

My 1961 390 does the same thing! Just make sure you use some sealer or Silicone to stop the possible leak and resist rust.

On the engines I have rebuilt, I always coated the threads of the bolts with a thread sealer to prevent water leaks from the bolts that enter in the water jackets.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Cover Gasket.jpg

Engine Front.jpg

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Doug great advice thank you, NICE paint job, that's what I am doing along with all new gaskets

Thank you. During the COVID lockdown I spent my time rebuilding my transmission. While the the engine and transmission were out of the car, I painted the engine and engine compartment.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

100_6615.JPG

Doug, that is a beautiful job on the engine compartment! Great job!

Back