1957 Rear Brake and Turn Signal Light Problem

Tater Salad- Is this from a 57 bird, nothing seems to match. Anyone have a picture of a restored version of the front left junction box as a guide for me?

Pics are 55, the double junction, on the LH fender apron.

On page 2 of the attached CASCO ThunderEnlightening newsletter, there are the junction block wiring diagrams for all three years.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

That helped greatly. I still don't have left blinker nor low beams and my gage loom has an extra wire...go figure, but I'm close!

Hello;
I am new to the classic Thunderbird having recently "traded" my 1930 Model A for a 57 T bird. However I have a rear brake light/Turn signal light that has me stumped. The right front & rear turn signals work as does the brake light and tail light. The left is a different story. The front left turn signal works. The left rear tail light works. The left rear brake and turn signal does not. I have cleaned the contacts, changed the bulb and checked the connections I could find....no joy. My electrical experience is pretty dismal so my ideas are pretty thin. Anything else I should try?
I had a similar problem. Make sure to have a ground on the light fixture. My complete fixture was removed and the trunk was painted with A rubberized coating. No ground. Also a duel element bulb needs to have separate contact. One for each filament. Removing the bulb and checking contact points are in tact. The previous owner Must have turned the base 180 degrees. The socket And bulb was not linking up perfectly. The bulb was in contact with both elements. It’s easier working with a friend. I hope this helps

Do a continuity check from the tail light fixture towards the front. There are may clips for the wiring harness to the front. On my '57 I've found many problems with old hard insulation that Chafes or breaks allowing the internal wires to corrode or break.

Thanks all. I replaced the turn signal switch. All works fine now. Switch was just worn out I guess.

Thanks all. I replaced the turn signal switch. All works fine now. Switch was just worn out I guess.
Once the wheel is off is it easy to replace the canceller? Mine has never worked and it doesn't move smoothly by hand.

After the steering wheel is removed you will have access to the turn signal mechanism. To remove the turn signal plate from the turn signal mechanism, you will have to unscrew the turn signal arm from the plate shaft and remove the conical spring. The top of the conical spring fits in the groove at the top of the turn signal switch shaft. Now you can lift the turn signal plate assembly out of the housing.

I attached some pictures of the turn signal mechanism and an article I that I wrote on how to correct turn indicators that cancel before making a turn.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Turn Indicator Mechanism Removed - 2.JPGTurn Indicator Mechanism Removed.JPGTurn Indicator Mechanism Riding On The Cancelling Ring.JPGTurn Indicator Mechanism With The Stering Wheel Removed.JPG

Attachments

• Turn Indicators That Cancel Before Making a Turn.pdf
    125.6 KB · Views: 1
Back