1957 Rear Brake and Turn Signal Light Problem

TJShea

TJShea

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello;
I am new to the classic Thunderbird having recently "traded" my 1930 Model A for a 57 T bird. However I have a rear brake light/Turn signal light that has me stumped. The right front & rear turn signals work as does the brake light and tail light. The left is a different story. The front left turn signal works. The left rear tail light works. The left rear brake and turn signal does not. I have cleaned the contacts, changed the bulb and checked the connections I could find....no joy. My electrical experience is pretty dismal so my ideas are pretty thin. Anything else I should try?

In the engine bay, left front fender there is a junction box, all of the lights pass through this, including dash notification lights. Make sure the connections are correct. For this you will need the manual. Perhaps someone can take a picture of there's so you can see the color coding on the wires. This would also help me as the past owner spliced wires that should not be spliced!

In the engine bay, left front fender there is a junction box, all of the lights pass through this, including dash notification lights. Make sure the connections are correct. For this you will need the manual. Perhaps someone can take a picture of there's so you can see the color coding on the wires. This would also help me as the past owner spliced wires that should not be spliced!
Thanks I have just received the 1957 Ford Car Shop Manual...Hopefully that will help.

Take pictures of the front and back sides of the junction box when you get it working, I can use it on mine please.

I had this problem with my horn on my '57. A continuity test showed the circuit good. After trying the horn the circuit went dead. I traced the wires back and found that a body attachment clip had worn through the insulation on the wires and they were corroded just to the point that they would conduct enough for a test light but not a full load. Spliced out the bad part and has worked since. Check your wire loom from front to back and I'm sure you will find a chaffed/broken wire for that circuit.

Take pictures of the front and back sides of the junction box when you get it working, I can use it on mine please.
Yah, I accidentally painted over the junction box and wire ends when painting the engine compartment with everything installed. ( young and dumb at the time)

I had this problem with my horn on my '57. A continuity test showed the circuit good. After trying the horn the circuit went dead. I traced the wires back and found that a body attachment clip had worn through the insulation on the wires and they were corroded just to the point that they would conduct enough for a test light but not a full load. Spliced out the bad part and has worked since. Check your wire loom from front to back and I'm sure you will find a chaffed/broken wire for that circuit.
Thanks. That may be it. I found just enough current at the left brake light to get just a very slight glow on the circuit tester.

Could really use pictures of front and back left side junction box...PLEASE!

Front driver side, all I have except for under dash,right now
20190512_153917.jpg20190512_153913.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If my cms will take a break, I'll send the others. Even with good wire color.
It seems to me once ya reach 40, all short term memory is gone.

If my cms will take a break, I'll send the others. Even with good wire color.
It seems to me once ya reach 40, all short term memory is gone.
Well Tater, I'm now 66 and going strong. I've had my '57 for over 40 years but about 2-25 years ago life got in the way. Now that I'm getting back to it I marvel at the work I'd done before and think "I know I fixed or did that but I can't remember doing it. " Don't worry it's just the way we are wired.

Thanks Ward, I was being facetious, then picking at Biddle. But yes, life gets in the way at times, and we forget the actual train of thought that got us through a tough problem.

Once again I need assistance, the pictures above, are they from a '57? My problem is the Ford Electrical Manual shows differences from the Ford Shop Manual. I could use '57 restored pictures of the left front fender junction box with wire looms included! Thanks in advance.

Once again I need assistance, the pictures above, are they from a '57? My problem is the Ford Electrical Manual shows differences from the Ford Shop Manual. I could use '57 restored pictures of the left front fender junction box with wire looms included! Thanks in advance.
Pics are driver side of 55. Maybe someone else will post what you are needing.

On page 2 of the attached CASCO ThunderEnlightening newsletter, there are the junction block wiring diagrams for all three years.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

junction-block-wiring-diagram-1.jpgjunction-block-wiring-diagram-2.jpgjunction-block-wiring-diagram-3.jpgjunction-block-wiring-diagram-4.jpg

Attachments

• ThunderEnlightening-9.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Back