1957 radiator replacement

1957Bird

1957Bird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Considering upgrading to a 3 row alum. Radiator on my 57 auto trans bird as well as 7 blade fan with spacer.
anyone with experience with this combination would be appreciated. Car is New England based.
thanks
Roger

I recently installed A/C on my 57 T-Bird. When I did, I put a larger 4-core aluminum radiator equipped with two puller fans. Also installed a High-po water pump
and a slightly larger 170 degree thermostat. While it is too cold for the A/C, and drove the car last Saturday 60 miles round trip with no heating issues. I plan to
take it to a car show this next Saturday which will be about an 80 mile round trip - will see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see various aluminum radiators offered. Some are 2 row and others 3 row. Sellers of the 2 row radiators claim that the tube size is the issue not the number of tubes. Any opinions on choosing and aluminum radiator as far as construction and tube size and number?

I recently installed A/C on my 57 T-Bird. When I did, I put a larger 4-core aluminum radiator equipped with two puller fans. Also installed a High-po water pump
and a slightly larger 170 degree thermostat. While it is too cold for the A/C, and drove the car last Saturday 60 miles round trip with no heating issues. I plan to
take it to a car show this next Saturday which will be about an 80 mile round trip - will see what happens.
Hi John, Im getting ready to install AC on my 57 bird and am looking at radiators now. $550 bucks plus another $120 for the wiring harness for a two fan radiator. are the fans working....and do you feel the added expense worth it? If its the diff between cool and overheating, it is. But you must have been convinced it was to spend the extra cash. Thanks for any feedback.

Hi John....what brand of two puller fan radiator did you buy? im putting AC in my 57 and am ready to order a radiator and 6 blade fanblade. Those radiators with 2 fans were like $700 after the wiring kit. same radiator without the fans $277. how much trouble did you have before and are you happy now?

Any help appreciated.
Im installing AC on my 57.
Ive added the Casco waterpump with larger impellers, largemouth thermostat and will put in an aluminum radiator and 6 blade fanblade.
1) should I use a dual fan radiator like one from Engineered Cooling Products or not? Its $700 with the wiring harness compared to $277 radiator only.
2) whats the deal with a spacer on the fanblade Im reading about? does that help car stay cooler?

Thanks for any help!

I run a fan from a Lincoln and a standard radiator, I have no special spacer or high volume water pump. I run consistently at 190 to 195 degrees fahernheit This is running in town or on the road for extended time. I have worked to make sure all systems are in proper working order. i do not have an aluminum radiator in my '57. The radiator is nothing special. Becasue is is not aluminum I can generally get repairs on a trip. You pays your money and you takes your

I forgot to mention I have AC and no problem in running it with a non-aluminum radiator.

Last edited by a moderator:
These early birds always run hot. Spacers, aluminum radiators, puller fans, hi-po water pumps, etc you may need all of these to keep you birds cool.

Although I have a 4-row, copper & brass radiator (not yet installed), Ted Eaton (eatonbalancing.com/y-blocksforever) said the additional rows restrict air flow.

It is not necessary to remove the hood to remove/replace the radiator.

These early birds always run hot. Spacers, aluminum radiators, puller fans, hi-po water pumps, etc you may need all of these to keep you birds cool.
My experience is that they do not always run hot although many do. I also find that many owners have not made sure that all of the systems regarding the engines are in good working order.

No need to remove hood. I replaced a radiator in a 1957 TBird last year. Hood presented no issue.

Back