1957 power brake booster recommendations

SoloBird
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 57' TB didn't come with power brakes. Can anyone recommend a bolt on Power brake booster? Currently I have all drums but looking to do a disc brake conversion for the front. Thanks

Well I didn't hear back from anyone so I went ahead and purchased a power brake booster and master cylinder with pro valve for my 57 Bird. Mine didn't come with power brakes, so I am going to use this part to add it. I will need to relocate the battery, but I am not sure how to install this part other then remove the master cylinder and put this new one in? Wish there were good videos and instructional on the 50's Tbirds, but there really is very little to few to be found. Did I get the right part?
I plan to do a front disk brake conversion as well.

Attachments

• 20220502_165407.jpg
    20220502_165407.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • powerbooster.jpg
    powerbooster.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 6
THAT will be one tight fit, even if the hood clears I can't see how you will avoid interference with the exhaust manifold or possibly the valve covers. This video shows a "split" system with booster and M/C separate and I'm sure its due to space constraints:

Thanks for the post reply Frankie. I have seen this video before, but it just shows it with it already in. I wish someone would show an install of a power booster or really anything with the 50's birds. Most all the videos I find are, "look what a shop did for me", "look at this awesome car", "watch this car run" but little how-to videos :(

The seller of the power boooster says it will fit the 57, but yeah, I am concerned on the fit as well, especially when I don't even know what I am doing LOL

Attachments

• 20220501_085647.jpg
    20220501_085647.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220502_165535.jpg
    20220502_165535.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Well I didn't hear back from anyone so I went ahead and purchased a power brake booster and master cylinder with pro valve for my 57 Bird. Mine didn't come with power brakes, so I am going to use this part to add it. I will need to relocate the battery, but I am not sure how to install this part other then remove the master cylinder and put this new one in? Wish there were good videos and instructional on the 50's Tbirds, but there really is very little to few to be found. Did I get the right part?
I plan to do a front disk brake conversion as well.

Didn't it come with instructions? In any case. It looks like the kind which uses an intermediary link. If so, the centerline of the new master will be either above or below where the centerline of the old master was. The rod that goes to the link will be what goes thru the firewall to the brake pedal.

Didn't it come with instructions? In any case. It looks like the kind which uses an intermediary link. If so, the centerline of the new master will be either above or below where the centerline of the old master was. The rod that goes to the link will be what goes thru the firewall to the brake pedal.
It didn't come with instructions but the seller said if I had questions which I know I will, he would be glad to help. Let's hope so because I don't know what I am doing :)

Did I get the right part?
I plan to do a front disk brake conversion as well. [/SIZE]
Posting a photo of a part isn't really too helpful. Where did you buy it? What is the part number?

No problem at all. I purchased the power booster here- https://www.ebay.com/itm/3315785385...d=link&campid=5338236430&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

I communicated with seller a number of times and he insured me it would fit a 57 by just relocating the battery. Now that I have the part I can tell it will not fit with the stock headers. As I stated before I order some Sanderson headers that I hope will give me the room but I am still thinking I will need to make some heat shield around this power booster. I don't know, maybe I should try and return it?

You have 30 days to return it according to the listing. Initiate the return using ebay website or ebay app. The seller looks reputable so I would tell them what you posted here and see what they say. Also. That listing says 1955 & 1956 and not 1957.
Yep, I already communicated to the seller it would not fit with stock exhaust and my concerns. His communications has been good so far. Maybe it will work out

Back