1957 hot master cylinder

1957Bird

1957Bird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Anyone find a solution to try to keep dual res. Master cylinder cool as it sits very close to exhaust manifold???
Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

there is a plate that goes under the master cylinder as a heat shield. It is just a piece of sheet metal (B5S 2137-B Ford part number) that goes under the master cylinder and is held on by the two lower bolts that also secure the master cylinder to the firewall. It is not unusual for these to have been removed and discarded. The part is long discontinued and has even been removed from the later parts catalogs. The basic number has a star next to it which means it is no longer serviced.

as a follo5w up, Hills Thunderbird has them in their catalog for $15,95

It's called a drip shield. Casco has them also $15.97 and they also list an elongated one for the dual master cylinder $20.95
Part # 2137 for the standard and 2137L for the duel cylinder.

Yes, it's a drip pan/shield, not a heat shield. Considering it's made of metal, which conducts heat, I don't see how it can be an effective heat shield.

I think the rest of you are missing the actual question. 1957BIRD is asking about a shield for a dual chamber master cylinder heat shield, not a shield for an oem single resevoir master cylinder. That said i have not seen a shield to use when converting to a dual chamber master cylinder. that does not mean one is not available, it means i have not seen one. It could be fabricated relatively easily. Yes metal can be a heat shield acting as a heat barrier/deflector. I have often contemplated making one for my own disc conversion master cylinder. I know the clearance is close. I have not experienced any problem with boiling brake fluid as of yet. I have on more than one occasion driven long distances at ~70.mph cruising speed for hours on end without a problem as of yet. I think the idea of a deflector shield is a good idea.

I think the rest of you are missing the actual question. 1957BIRD is asking about a shield for a dual chamber master cylinder heat shield, not a shield for an oem single resevoir master cylinder. That said i have not seen a shield to use when converting to a dual chamber master cylinder. that does not mean one is not available, it means i have not seen one. It could be fabricated relatively easily. Yes metal can be a heat shield acting as a heat barrier/deflector. I have often contemplated making one for my own disc conversion master cylinder. I know the clearance is close. I have not experienced any problem with boiling brake fluid as of yet. I have on more than one occasion driven long distances at ~70.mph cruising speed for hours on end without a problem as of yet. I think the idea of a deflector shield is a good idea.
Refer to my post above. Casco has one for the dual chamber. Yes they do their job.

Thanks all. I’ll pull my Casco catalog off the shelf and check it out. And yes heat deflection is what I’m looking for. I’ve not had a problem as yet but ya know, the old ounce of prevention pound of cure thing.

Back