1957 Hood release stiff

edna
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hood hard to open release handle needs to be pulled quite hard .
Pulled handle off cable last night trying to release hood!

Yes it can happen...I ran a second and
separate wire attached to the lever in the engine compartment..it runs through the firewall it is hidden under the dash it has a handle..and can be used if needed

Hey Edna. I guess you will have to replace the release cable which may resolve the problem. The other part is, liberally lubricate the latch mechanism itself with penetrating oil and you should be good. Doug

I think there is a thread on here on how to open the hood from underneath but you would have to get it on a hoist to be able to get to the lever with something to push towards the firewall to release the hood. Then the task of replacing the cable and figuring out why it's so hard to release.

Include the model year on your subject in future posts as prompted. This has been added for you.
model-year.jpg

The pieces on the hood are adjustable. Maybe a 1/2 turn will help with the problem. Check hood to cowl and see if this will be ok

Cable is good issue is with latch mechanism being very hard to move.
Is there anyway to adjust spring tension in the latch?

Cable is good issue is with latch mechanism being very hard to move.
Is there anyway to adjust spring tension in the latch?
I thought you said the cable broke. A liberal application of good grease on all the moving parts should be enough for those. Your issue is that it's too tight. Try unscrewing the pins 1/2 turn at a time and a large spade screwdriver or something similar is all that's needed.
I drop mine from about a foot up and latches and releases fine. Some like to let it rest on the latches and push down to secure which means a much looser fit.

To use that tool you have to lay under the car, instead I ran an alternate wire from the latch to the inside of the car using mechanic's wire.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Hood Release Wire.jpg

That is exactly what I have done........attach a spare hood release handle to the wire inside the car......or have a loop in the wire...makes it easier to pull.

It's a common problem. More often the cable pulls out rather than breaks. My 55 hood release is hard to pull, but cable hasn't pulled out or broken. I will address it during the restoration.

It's a common problem. More often the cable pulls out rather than breaks. My 55 hood release is hard to pull, but cable hasn't pulled out or broken. I will address it during the restoration.
It could be as simple as unscrewing the latch pins 1/2 turn or so and greasing the capture mechanism and squirting some penetrating oil into the cable guide.

Unscrewing the latch pins might be your problem, but the hood latch mechanism does get sticky after 65+ years. When I did a complete painting and detail of my engine compartment I took the hood latch mechanism apart to clean and lubricate it. The hood opens very easily without having to loosen the latch pins.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Hood Release.jpg

My 1957 T-Bird hood release cable is so hard to pull that the handle broke off! I now have to use pair of pliers (attached to the under dash cable) to open the hood. I've cleaned and greased the hood opening mechanism with no results. Does anyone know how to relieve some of the spring pressure so the hood release cable will work easily? I've ordered a new cable/handle from Larry's but that will not fix the problem. Thanks. Larry

Mine is hard as well. Did a few adjustments on hood pins (alignment) and lubed the latches.

My 1957 T-Bird hood release cable is so hard to pull that the handle broke off! I now have to use pair of pliers (attached to the under dash cable) to open the hood. I've cleaned and greased the hood opening mechanism with no results. Does anyone know how to relieve some of the spring pressure so the hood release cable will work easily? I've ordered a new cable/handle from Larry's but that will not fix the problem. Thanks. Larry
The hood pins are adjustable. Try turning them a 1/2 turn or so to relieve some pressure

Back