1957 hole in fly wheel housing cover | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1957 hole in fly wheel housing cover

• Thread starter Thread starter SoloBird
  • Start date Start date
SoloBird
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
So I did an oil changing on my 57' TB that I have no idea when the last time that has happen since this is the beginnings of my restoration project to it.

I drained the oil and when I got under the car I noticed a hole in a pan right after the oil pan. Is this the flywheel housing pan? Not sure what this part is called, but it looks like it goes right before or below the transmission case. Is this hole suppose to be there and what part is this?
20221002_174647.jpg 20221002_174538.jpg
I did a motor treatment with new oil and filter, ran the car for 15min and then drained again. I also noticed oil drip from.. what I guess is the oil sending unit or oil pressure switch? Thanks
20221002_174737.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If you are speaking about the small hole in the bottom of the flywheel cover
It looks like small drain hole to expell oil or tranny fluid if you have a leak

If you are speaking about the small hole in the bottom of the flywheel cover
It looks like small drain hole to expell oil or tranny fluid if you have a leak
Yes. Is this small hole suppose to be there then? I don't need to worry?

Attachments

• 20221002_174538Arrow.jpg
    20221002_174538Arrow.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221002_174647_hole.jpg
    20221002_174647_hole.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 4
I’d pull the flywheel cover off and inspect seals for leaks.

So I did an oil changing on my 57' TB that I have no idea when the last time that has happen since this is the beginnings of my restoration project to it.

I drained the oil and when I got under the car I noticed a hole in a pan right after the oil pan. Is this the flywheel housing pan? Not sure what this part is called, but it looks like it goes right before or below the transmission case. Is this hole suppose to be there and what part is this?
View attachment 24516 View attachment 24517
I did a motor treatment with new oil and filter, ran the car for 15min and then drained again. I also noticed oil drip from.. what I guess is the oil sending unit or oil pressure switch? Thanks
View attachment 24519
Yes, there is a tiny hole in the flywheel cover to allow for oil to escape when your rear crankshaft seal is leaking (and needs replacement), so your flywheel does not get flooded with oil creating, ultimately, a problem in your starter. Also, if you have a leak in your rear main gasket, at least you will see the leak and you will realize your oil may be going low which will end damaging the engine. So, it is good to have a "leak oil hole"... I just replaced the rear main gasket on my crankshaft and the leak stopped coming through that hole in my 292 Y block.

Back