1957 Fender skirt to tire clearance

Rogvh

Rogvh

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
After owning my 1957 since 1986, this season will be my first using fender skirts! All this time I wrongly thought the front brackets had to be welded and I didn't want to burn the paint. I realize it was the alignment tabs which I did have. So, I have them assembled and mounted. I have read posts regarding people losing theirs. What gap do you have between the latching mechanism and your tire? How much does a rear tire flex? I have about 1/2 to 5/8" clearance. My tires are P205/75R14 Coker steel radials. BTW I did read about drilling the skirt and using a lock wire. Anybody do that?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You’ll see much more flex from your steel belted radials than a bias ply tire for sure. I don’t think it’s recommended to use radial tires with the skirts on these early Thunderbirds.

If you have great wheels, cool tires ( I have Cooper Cobras with white letters on mags). Skip the skirts. show the shine and flash the fact that you have a REAL hotrod. A classic, classy, piece of history rod.

I think you have plenty of room especially if the spring bushings are good and don't let the axle move side to side. Also keep your tires at 35psi. Keeps the side flex down and actually helps handling.

@Rogvh check out this article @doug7740 had posted on a topic close to your situation…may prove to have some similar elements …down about 4 or so posts

https://forums.fordthunderbirdforum.com/threads/tire-rub-on-‘56-fender-skirts.7859/

I own a 1955. Although your 1957 might have more clearance, there isn't "plenty of room" on a 1955/56, especially with KH reproduction spoke wheels and 205/75R15 tires. Knockoffs/spinners complicate matters.

My dad tried OEM skirts, reproduction skirts, and Traction Master bars to limit side-to-side-movement of the rear axle, but the KH knockoffs/spinners made contact with the skirts. His solution was to remove the skirts.

By the way, I agree with 4VE.

My car came with a set of spinners that the 3 blade component was removed from the center cap. Essentially a chrome cover for when the skirts are on and spinners when the skirts are off… I did not notice this when I got the car but there were a few boxes in the trunk and they were in there

Not ideal but a possible fix… I’ll try to get this right when I finally get to that part of the car. I actually believe the rear springs are so saggy and weak that they don’t support the axle properly under the body

Running Coker classic 215/75/14 Radial on my pretty stock 57 with no fender skirt clearance problems.
When installing skirts I can barely get my fingers between the lever and tire. Just an FYI we put 2000 plus miles on the car up he in NH each summer.

I bought my 57 last spring. Bought new coker 215/75/14 radials and went down the road and lost a fender skirt in minutes. The short story was that the front rims are different than the back ones and I switched them. The rear rims have an offset to them allowing them to be closer in. Problem solved except the next time out one of my hub caps fell off taking the shirt with it. All fixed now.

You will be fine with the clearance you have
I drilled and install .040 safety wire to hold the lever in place
I also added a screw at the lower back of the skirt to keep it in place.

Mine used to rub going around corners, usually right hand turns. Installed a sway bar and solved the rubbing. I’d still like to add coil over shocks or air shocks instead of arcing the rear leaf springs. Tried a set of air shocks recommended but they hit the exhaust.

I feel mine are bad enough on the ‘56 that I bought a new set from CASCO. Along with all of the allied parts and pieces not a cheap proposition. About $800. But the end results will be worth it

Been gone a few days and not near the internet. Based on Posts #8 and #10, I'm encouraged to try them. I've put a lot of time and effort in these original skirts so I hate to just let them sit. But of course I'd hate more to drop them in the road. I did drill a 1/16" hole and am looking for stainless steel wire. Besides keeping the latching mechanism from going down, I think I can pull it outboard for more clearance. If we get a hard rain to wash the salt, I'll try them out. Thanks to all for their comments.

Picked this up somewhere, some folks have used these solutions to the fender skirt clearance problem

Attachments

• fender skirt interference rubbing solution 1 1957 tbird.pdf
    746.9 KB · Views: 14
  • fender skirt interference rubbing solution 2 1957 tbird.pdf
    429.1 KB · Views: 16
Back