1957 Evans High Performance Coolant | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1957 Evans High Performance Coolant

• Thread starter Thread starter knuckle47
  • Start date Start date
knuckle47

knuckle47

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
As I prepare for the coming spring and summer I have many things on my list to insure that the car will go round trip without issue. Whether it’s to 7-11 or Niagara Falls, I enjoy the prospect of getting back home without issue. Reading a bunch of overheating stories on the forum, actually got me a little nervous and I ordered the modified high output water pump. I have A/C and plan on using it so I would prefer not overheating…especially after reading about the major efforts going on with members cars to eliminate the possibility and some still have concerns. I’m not saying T-birds are known for their overheating but….

I have never heard of this stuff before.. they say it has a boiling point of 375F. [EVANS Cooling Systems EC53001 High Performance Waterless Engine Coolant, 128 fl. oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TPVI2TQ/?tag=thunderbirdforum-20
Anyone have any experience with this coolant?

This page contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have experience with that product, but if you're doing cooling system maintenance don't forget to change the thermostat and all of the hoses. It never hurts to check the heater core as well. Make sure to replace the water pump belt as well. Lots of things cause overheating, lots of cars in the old days just ran water in the summer too.

@74 Harley thanks for the input. I did also get the large opening thermostat and plan on flushing the entire system with high volume low pressure air from a shop-vac in reverse. The heater core might be the weakest link as I have no knowledge of its previous history or maintenance and it doesn’t seem like I can just lean across the car and swap it out. This bending thing has gotten old and doesn’t last long for me. Installed a Rough Country hard surface pickup truck bed cover…3 clamps on each side, 1 bolt each …90 minutes ( 4 …10 minute breaks) geez! 😉

I forgot to mention that every now and then you need to climb under the car and check the freeze plugs. They don't last forever! I know how you feel... I'll be 57 here soon, bending around cars is getting more difficult.

I forgot to mention that every now and then you need to climb under the car and check the freeze plugs. They don't last forever! I know how you feel... I'll be 57 here soon, bending around cars is getting more difficult.
Enjoy whats there now….i was 56. A month went by and I was 69 unbelievable

@knuckle47
On future posts, please choose a subject that summarizes your post. 1957 Coolant Use has been updated to reflect your topic question.

I now only use distilled water in my older cars. I live in an area where it does not freeze in any significant way. I do not use antifreeze. This is because antifreeze does not cool as well as straight water. I am considering looking for an additive to lubricate the water pump.

antifreeze does not cool as well as straight water.

By itself, distilled water, is much better at heat transfer compared to antifreeze/coolants. However, water, by itself, causes the metal parts in the cooling system to corrode

There is nothing you can put in a cooling system to lubricate a water pump. As long as the seals are holding the coolant cannot reach the bearings.

Could someone provide links to more specific info about the “large opening thermostat” and the “modified high output water pump”? I am not familiar with either of these. Since I am also having A/C installed, I’d like to learn more about these two options with regard to addressing potential overheating.

Could someone provide links to more specific info about the “large opening thermostat” and the “modified high output water pump”? I am not familiar with either of these. Since I am also having A/C installed, I’d like to learn more about these two options with regard to addressing potential overheating.
9/10 questions have been answered already. The search page is your friend. Search for 1955 overheating for example.

I now only use distilled water in my older cars. I live in an area where it does not freeze in any significant way. I do not use antifreeze. This is because antifreeze does not cool as well as straight water. I am considering looking for an additive to lubricate the water pump.
Can you absolutely guarantee that you won't get some freezing weather? While water may cool some what better than a 50/50 mix of antifreeze, water does not have the rust inhibitors and other additives that protect your engine. If you have a heating problem, you need more that just plain water to solve the problem.

The wide mouth thermostat improves circulation . There are a couple on the market for YBlocks, NAPA THM 6 (170 degree), Mr Gasket #4367 and Stant 14177 (170 degree). The modified water pump is available from CASCO.

I hear that the Evens is pretty good stuff. The drawback to this product is that you cannot add anything to it, even water. So if your on the road and need more coolant, you have to have more Evans with you or you have to drain and flush the block before adding anything else.

Can you absolutely guarantee that you won't get some freezing weather? While water may cool some what better than a 50/50 mix of antifreeze, water does not have the rust inhibitors and other additives that protect your engine. If you have a heating problem, you need more that just plain water to solve the problem.
Freezing? At this time of year, yes I can. When we do go below 32 ti is only for a short time and sporadically. Heating? I do not have a heating problem. As I have previously posted I drove from Sacramento CA to 2019 convention in Flagstaff AZ and a bit beyond and return through So-Cal. A total of bout 2300 miles. From Barstow to Flagg I cruised at about 70 to 75. Consistently run 190 to 195 F. The same on the return. I have made the effort to not have a hot running car and am satisfied without any: water wetter additives, aluminum radiator (which I would not likely be able to have repaired). re-engineered water pump spacer or aftermarket water pump. My track record for this is over a 25 year period. By the way distilled water does not appear to have left any mineral deposits the inhibit cooling and flow.

I have Evans in my Superformance Cobra for over 10 years the cooling system components are still like brand new I have no overheating problems but I do run a high flow water pump and high flow thermostat the evens turned a little darker and looks like Olive oil. In my 65 T Bird I also have evens coolant with a PRW high flow aluminum water pump a Stewart 180 high flow thermostat and a 3 core aluminum rad, Temp never goes over 195 on the hottest days with AC on even stuck in traffic big electric fan kicks in and keeps her cool. I am in Ontario so we don't see 100 degrees like some lucky people do but it sure does get really humid up here in the summer.

BTW I run a 3 PSI rad cap on both cars with no problems there is very little pressure build up with the evens which should make it easier on the cooling system.

Joe

Back