1957 electric radiator cooling fan options

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Good subjects get more responses. "1957 electric fan" is vague. I updated it for you.

What mechanical fan do you have on now? 4, 5, 6 blade. If only four, got to six. A wide mouth thermostat also helps in cooling.

CASCO has a water pump that has larger fins to make it the engine to cool better.

At what condition is your radiator/ A good cleaning by a professional should help.

There are a lot of things to help an early bird to not blow it's cool before going to an electric fan, which may end up not helping.

Agree totally with Paul
Went with 6 blade flex fan, Champion 3 row alum radiator (very reasonably priced) and Casco large opening thermostat.
very pleased. In traffic on a 90 + degree day engine still stays within thermostat range.

There are principally two types of electric fans. (1) A puller fan which draws air through the radiator and a pusher fan with mounts in the front of the radiator pushing air through the radiator. Most prefer the puller fans, but you will probably have to remove the fan blade. If you attach a six or eight blade fan to the water pump pulley, and retain your fan shroud, then a pusher fan will probably do the trick. But it may also depend on whether you are going to add air conditioning which in Texas is a must.

I was thinking an electric fan (pusher type in front). Larry's sells a fan with brackets that looks like it will bolt up to original shroud. My main concern is how much the motor will draw on the generator. Some people have said I will have to convert to an alternator set up. If so does anyone make an alternator that looks like an original generator. Thank you to everyone that takes the time out to answer me. It is very much appreciated! Jon

I was thinking an electric fan (pusher type in front). Larry's sells a fan with brackets that looks like it will bolt up to original shroud. My main concern is how much the motor will draw on the generator. Some people have said I will have to convert to an alternator set up. If so does anyone make an alternator that looks like an original generator. Thank you to everyone that takes the time out to answer me. It is very much appreciated! Jon
This would have been helpful in your first posting. Apparently your concern is not cooling but electrical. Yes there are alternators that have the appearance of a generator. I suggest contacting the Thunderbird specialty suppliers as your first stop. It will be considerate of others and more productive if your needs are clear and not obliquely referenced.

Powermaster makes alternators that are exact replicas of period generators. I put one on my 57. It is a Powergen model. Works great. Easy install fits exactly like the old generator. I also have most of cooling upgrades mentioned above, plus a pusher electric fan added to to front of the radiator. It is on a toggle so I only use it when it warms up around here. Can get a bit toasty in the Las Vegas area. This is the first summer with the new heavy duty 4 row radiator, 6 blade fan, full shroud, improved water pump and larger thermostat. So far, so good. And with it on the front of the radiator, it not easily seen.

A prior owner installed a pusher fan on my '57. My car also has a 3 position switch for the fan, On/Off/Thermostat. I leave it in the thermostatically controlled position unless I'm in bumper to bumper traffic. I also have a 6 blade fan on the water pump pulley. Still running a generator. No issues so far, so not sure why an alternator is needed unless you also have AC and a powerful stereo?

Good subjects get more responses. "1957 electric fan" is vague. I updated it for you.
Hey guys....still feel the same way about the radiator with fans if youre pushing AC? Im adding AC to my 57 as we speak and am looking at a $550 two fanned radiator.....or the exact same radiator without the fans for $277. If the $277 will do the job, I want to save the dime. Comments?

In the old days when people added AC they put on a more effective mechanical fan and left the old radiator. A bigger radiator with old fan would do nothing but get you an extra five minutes before overheating. I would think adding a very good electric fan would many times be all you need to do.

Powermaster makes alternators that are exact replicas of period generators. I put one on my 57. It is a Powergen model. Works great. Easy install fits exactly like the old generator. I also have most of cooling upgrades mentioned above, plus a pusher electric fan added to to front of the radiator. It is on a toggle so I only use it when it warms up around here. Can get a bit toasty in the Las Vegas area. This is the first summer with the new heavy duty 4 row radiator, 6 blade fan, full shroud, improved water pump and larger thermostat. So far, so good. And with it on the front of the radiator, it not easily seen.
Hey TJ.....did you put on an aluminum radiator and are you pushing AC?

In the old days when people added AC they put on a more effective mechanical fan and left the old radiator. A bigger radiator with old fan would do nothing but get you an extra five minutes before overheating. I would think adding a very good electric fan would many times be all you need to do.
Thank you Jim. are you running AC in your TBird?

I took on making my car run cooler (AZ weather can test ones cooling system). I made 2 changes that both worked. 1 I replaced the original spacer behind the water pump with the re-engineered one that will allow the water to circulate at an idle and 2 I installed a heavy duty water pump to improve overall water movement. I already have the heavy duty fan. My car now does not creep up in temperater at a stop light on a 100+ plus day and it runs cooler going down the road. Note I did NOT change the radiator or fan. After I get around to adding A/C I will at least know what I won't have to address.

my car came with two pusher fans mounted in front of the radiator
when I installed the AC, I searched the internet for 2ea 9 inch fans and replaced the two that came with the car.
I will look for the actual cost but I believe it was less than $200.00
definitely run the aluminum rad, it will do a better job of getting the heat out of the water.

Back