1957 cold valve adjustment | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1957 cold valve adjustment

• Thread starter Thread starter Jimi A
  • Start date Start date
J
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Would like to know the proper way to adjust cold valves.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The proper way is using a P7G valve gapper with the engine at operating temperature. If you do not have that valve gapping tool you can use a feeler gauge, but due to wear on the top of the valve stem, it won't be as accurate. Here is a picture of the left and right cylinder heads when I adjusted the valves using a feeler gauge. The specification is .019, but since I am using a feeler gauge and to compensate for wear on the top of the valve stem I like to adjust them a little tighter, that's why I set them to .018. Notice in the picture what the valve gaps were before I adjusted them.

You will need to turn the engine to top dead center for the valves you are adjusting. There are many ways to do this, but the easiest way would be to remove the distributor cap and turn the engine over by hand and adjust the valves on the cylinder the rotor is pointing to.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Right Cylinder Head.jpg

Left Cylinder Head.jpg

P&G Valve Gapper Model 111 Instructions - 1.jpg

P&G Valve Gapper Model 111 Instructions - 2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Doug. Is there a certain order that the valves need to be done in? And just to make sure, I don't need to warm the engine up first, is that correct? I will be using a feeler gauge.

There is no certain order when adjusting the valves, the easiest way is to remove the distributor cap and turn the engine over by hand and adjust the valves on the cylinder the rotor is pointing to.

Distributor Firing Order.jpg

I adjusted the valves after the engine was warmed up.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Would like to know the proper way to adjust cold valves.
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thank you
It’s a 2 step process adjust cold engine off then you need to adjust hot with engine running this is ford shop manual and is correct way to do it

Attachments

• IMG_1880.jpeg
    IMG_1880.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1881.jpeg
    IMG_1881.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Really appreciate this information. Thank you for your help.
Just a caution don’t rev the motor with valve cover off or oil will spray all over, Ford shops had sheet metal valve covers with the top cut open to get to the adjusters and rockers you can use a strip of cardboard on the bottom half of the head and it works good. I used an angle feeler go no go make sure you tighten the adjuster but tight and reck the valve lash after you tighten them.

Back