1957 How to Install valley pan

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
None
What is the proper way to install the valley pan on a 312
I can't figure out how to get it on. The heads are on the engine and there doesn't seem to be enough clearance. The valley pan has a baffle , so there is a limited amount of wiggle room to get it installed. Any advice will be much appreciated.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

There are little cut outs on the edges of the valley pan so the heads don't have to be removed. The valley pan will just clear and can be removed and installed without removing the heads. It does have to kind of wiggle and one side will go down then the other but it does go. When I did mine, I sprayed one side of the gasket with hi-tack then set it on the block to help keep it in place until the valley pan was on and torqued. Don't use bolts longer than 4-1/2", because the front bolt hole is directly above a cam lobe and damage could occur if too long a bolt is used. I've never seen this happen, but it could. The torque is listed in the manual as "Valve Pushrod Chamber Cover" and the torque value is 12-15 inch pounds. I torque mine to 20 inch pounds with perfect results. Over tightening of the 2 bolts will bend the cover and cause leaks. I torque the draft tube to 20 inch pounds as well.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back