1957 Cleaning car along my 500 mile road trip

OhioTbird

OhioTbird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
This summer I have a trip planned to Road America for the races. It will be about a 500 mile one way run from my house.

I'll be there a few days and it got me thinking about cleaning the car while there. No doubt lots of dead bugs and dirt. Have any of you found anything to clean a car sort of, without water? I may have access to a bucket of water but certainly won't have hoses etc.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Check out Griot's Garage; they have all sorts of dry wash and bug remover products...a few microfiber towels and you should be good to go!

One thing I always use is a "Florida style" bug screen up front. Not that I expect my radiator to get clogged as so often happens down there (especially during love bug season) but it keeps the chrome - grill, bumper etc - cleaner. I also always carry one of these:
Nothing works as well as these pads to get splattered bugs off the windshield, and I've tried everything. Spray bug cleaners work fine (I use Star Brite Bug-Off), spray that on, let it sit for a bit then scrub with (above) and use windshield washers with a sponge to wash it away, or your bucket with water. Just do it in the shade and don't let the stuff dry up while you wait, a minute is all it takes if you put it on well. Won't hurt any finishes.

Last edited:
Check out Griot's Garage; they have all sorts of dry wash and bug remover products...a few microfiber towels and you should be good to go!
Great place. tried to get a job there as I lived only 3 miles away. Unfortunately they pulled the offer as they hit a rough spot.

Great place. tried to get a job there as I lived only 3 miles away. Unfortunately they pulled the offer as they hit a rough spot.
I've never had any luck getting "high speed" bug splatter off with microfiber. Do you use any kind of spray first? The ScotchBrite tile brush I mentioned above works great but microfiber always left bug gunk older than an hour or so. It could be just the leverage the handle gives, but I have those "As Seen On TV" brushes with the microfiber bonnets and they can't do much for the crud on the outside (but do a great job on the inside).
Of course nothing will dry a car as well as those microfiber towels. They're great for that.

If you look around you can find collapsible buckets, hoses. Then get a small box and include small bottles of car wash, detailer and window cleaner. That is what I did when on the two coast to coast trips I made in my 56.. I found that some motels will let you use an outdoor faucet if you ask.

One thing I always use is a "Florida style" bug screen up front. Not that I expect my radiator to get clogged as so often happens down there (especially during love bug season) but it keeps the chrome - grill, bumper etc - cleaner. I also always carry one of these:
Nothing works as well as these pads to get splattered bugs off the windshield, and I've tried everything. Spray bug cleaners work fine (I use Star Brite Bug-Off), spray that on, let it sit for a bit then scrub with (above) and use windshield washers with a sponge to wash it away, or your bucket with water. Just do it in the shade and don't let the stuff dry up while you wait, a minute is all it takes if you put it on well. Won't hurt any finishes.
Need to get one of those tools as it looks very handy.
Gene from NJ

417E924D-126D-413D-B84F-37AE772E444B.jpegI use this product, a cap full to a gallon of water,
then soak a micro fiber rag and ring out.
Wipe down an area then dry with another micro fiber rag.
Works very to remove bugs, dirt and grime.
Has a wax in it as wel, to leave a lasting shine.
After cleaning with this product the car is more dirt resistant.
I carry a gallon bottle of water and a small bucket.
You can clean up car in the motel parking lot.
HTH

The below link to Road Warrior Plus may be the ideal solution you are seeking. I used it on my BMW 4 series on a trip from Florida to NJ during the height of Florida's love bug season and it worked perfectly. It washes off with water and there is no trace it ever existed. Highly recommended and is my go to solution. The lone issue is if you encounter a hard rain storm which will cause it to evaporate.

RW (2).jpg

This summer I have a trip planned to Road America for the races. It will be about a 500 mile one way run from my house.

I'll be there a few days and it got me thinking about cleaning the car while there. No doubt lots of dead bugs and dirt. Have any of you found anything to clean a car sort of, without water? I may have access to a bucket of water but certainly won't have hoses etc.

I use a spray can that cleans and waxes, I don't have the label for you here at work but I could look at it tonight. I know its a NASCAR advertised product. You spray it on and let it set for a minute then 1 rag to clean and another of those lint free clothes to buff it out. It works perfect for those fresh bug spots.

I use Groit' liquid wax or Speed Shine and a MOTHER'S clay bar. Actually, the MOTHER'S clay bar is rubber and as long as you keep the surface of the vehicle wet and the clay bar wet it will remove any bugs or road film and not hurt the finish. Just wipe off with a towel or microfiber cloth. The spay wax used in conjunction with the clay bar leaves the finish as if you just waxed. I use it on windows as well. It has a red handle with rubber numbs. Remember to keep wet at all times.

Check out Chemical Guys brand of car wash supplies.

I use both the "Rinsefree" wash diluted 16:1 in a spray bottle and the "Ecosmart" wash/wax combo also in a spray bottle. I really like their stuff. Makes clean up after an afternoon cruise easy! Takes care of those bugs with ease. Not sure about the accumulation on a cross-country trip.

Back