1957 am/fm radio replacement recommendations

baby bird

baby bird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
57 Am/FM replacement recommendations? I am looking for a company that sells new radios for my 57 and speakers. Not looking for blue tooth or any plug in ports, just a quality radio that looks like the original one but sounds better!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Purchased mine from “Classic Car Radio” bought exactly what you described, happy with what I got for what I paid.
Did a pair of speakers in panel that I built for behind the seat.
Even with the soft top stowed back there you can still hear acceptably.
They offer many different levels of radios ie blue tooth etc.

If you have a Town & Country NOW,, ship it out & get it re-done. I'd get everything as the looks will be the same,, but down the line selling the better version is well, better. I'm in SE Tennessee & drop off & pick up were at a local car show. But call Charles at 423-785-6333.

I bought the TBS2 Repo radio from CASCO
paid to much
Blue tooth doesn’t work with MP3
resolution on the volume is very sensitive
tuning is very sensitive and FM stations can be difficult to find
Looks good and sound quality is good
If I had to do over
I would find an original and have the internals upgraded, as Rust suggested
The town and country radios are ridiculously large and very heavy

I bought the TBS2 Repo radio from CASCO
paid to much
Blue tooth doesn’t work with MP3
resolution on the volume is very sensitive
tuning is very sensitive and FM stations can be difficult to find
Looks good and sound quality is good
If I had to do over
I would find an original and have the internals upgraded, as Rust suggested
The town and country radios are ridiculously large and very heavy
Thankfully my T/C radio still works great. A little crackling here and there and the speed volume adjusting circuit is a little erratic, but that could be from lack of use. I have a tin ear and just listen to talk radio so I'm good.

I wanted to keep the original T&C radio as close to original as possible. When I got the car, the radio would come on but no sound (broken speaker wire), and the tuner wouldn't move the dial (not to mention the seek functions didn't work well...kind of hit and miss). Sent it to Bill Abate at Classic Car Radio Doctor (https://classiccarradiodoctor.com/index.htm) and he did a great job getting it working! Sound is good (for AM radio, of course LOL), seek functions perfectly.

Since there are only a handful of AM stations that do anything other than news or talk radio (Blech!), we put in a Bluetooth speaker tucked up under the dash where nobody can see it, and I just connect my phone and use the SiriusXM app. We used one from Kuryakyn that was designed for motorcycles and got pretty good reviews. If you can hear it over a Harley, you can certainly hear it in our birds! :) It works well, and even has a USB charging port so I can keep the phone going indefinitely. It does tend to drop the BT connection after starting the engine about half the time, but it's a minor nuisance to reconnect.

So I have a fully "Concours correct" radio complete with tubes, AND those hundreds of channels of satellite radio. Best of both worlds, other than no local FM (but I haven't listened to that since I went to XM radio in the car years ago, anyway).

Bottom line: highly recommend Bill's services for radio restoration. No doubt his upgrades to AM/FM are just as good.

I wanted to keep the original T&C radio as close to original as possible. When I got the car, the radio would come on but no sound (broken speaker wire), and the tuner wouldn't move the dial (not to mention the seek functions didn't work well...kind of hit and miss).

On the Motorola radio that is in my 1955 Thunderbird when I would turn the tuning knob, sometimes the pointer would stop mid-way and you would have to use the station selector buttons to get it to operate again. The problem was that the clutch material had deteriorated from age and was no longer adhered to the clutch plates. After removing the clutch assembly from the radio it was disassembled; cleaned, lubricated, and new friction material was made from gasket paper. After cementing the new friction material to the clutch plates, the clutch assembly was reassembled and installed back in the radio. Now the tuning control was functioning as designed.

Here is an article that I wrote on how I repaired the Motorola radio in my 1955 Thunderbird.
1955 - Motorola - 5MFS8 - Radio Repair This winter one of my projects was to try to repair the original AM radio from my 6 volt, 1955 Thunderbird. When I purchased the vehicle the radio never played, except for an occasional loud static sound from the speaker. Since the push button that controls the on/off switch would only stay in the on position, I had no way of turning the radio off. I also noticed that when I would turn the tuning knob, sometimes the pointer would stop mid-way and you would have to use the station selector buttons to get it to operate again. With the help of fellow CTCNO club member Frank Barone, I removed the covers from the radio, and performed a complete cleaning and inspection. During my inspection, I discovered that the lever that engages into the slot of the on/off push button had too much clearance. This was the reason that the push button would not stay in the off position. By slightly bending the lever and with some light lubrication, I was able to get the on/off push button to function again.
4afa86ff56d9a62cfdedd8e6c8b55099.jpg
ABOVE- The lever that engages the on/off push button in the on position after the adjustment was made

The tuning control is an interesting design. It utilizes two clutch plates that connect the tuning knob to the tuner carriage. When you turn the tuning knob, the gear on the end of the tuning shaft rotates the first clutch plate. Since the clutch is engaged, the second clutch plate turns the gear that is on the end of the spline shaft and moves the tuner carriage. When you depress one of the station selector buttons, the clutches disengage the tuning knob shaft, allowing the tuner carriage to move without rotating the tuning knob. These clutches are also designed to slip, to prevent damage if you continue to rotate the tuning knob after the tuner carriage reaches the end of its travel.

The problem with tuning knob on this radio was that the clutch material had deteriorated from age and was no longer adhered to the clutch plates. After removing the clutch assembly from the radio it was disassembled; cleaned, lubricated, and new friction material was made from gasket paper. After cementing the new friction material to the clutch plates, the clutch assembly was reassembled and installed back in the radio. Now the tuning control was functioning as designed.

70118ad1811cc9e7aa48867dacc29a1d.jpg
ABOVE- Tuning Clutch Assembly Installed
7c032f14958f3db5de3af0f0b0bd33b2.jpg
ABOVE- Tuning Clutch Assembly Disassembled
0983570692c77e03eedcb58ee9a33cc1.jpg
ABOVE- Tuning Clutch Assembly Assembled

After testing the vibrator and replacing 3 defective tubes, it was time to see if the radio would play. To my dismay I was only able to received one station, and it was a very weak one at that. Upon further inspection I discovered that the top of the movable core (A8) of Oscillator Coil (L4) had broken away from the adjustment rod, and the movable core was not moving with the tuner carriage.

The broken core and adjustment rod was removed from the radio, and the top of the core was squared on a lathe. The center of the core was then drilled and tapped to match the thread pitch on the adjustment rod. To keep the movable core from turning on the adjustment rod, a lock nut was used. After reinstalling the repaired movable core (A8) back into the Oscillator Coil (L4), I was able to receive a much stronger local station.
ce733df0a44df6cf1e558def9011da0d.jpg
ABOVE- Tuner Carriage with the Coils
d08547c4029a806d3b401c6d22786c58.jpg
ABOVE- Repaired Movable Core (A8)

Before I could epoxy the adjustment core rod to the tuner carriage, I had to adjust the Oscillator Coil (L4). Since I did not have the proper test equipment required to make the adjustment, I identified the strong local station I was receiving to determine the frequency that it was broadcasting on and to see how close it was from the indicated frequency on the dial. Leaving the movable core (A8) stationary, I adjusted the tuning knob to get the indicator to the frequency of the station I identified and then I applied epoxy to the adjustment rod.

After the epoxy had cured, I was able to tune into five local stations. Some were strong, however most were not. Since I was performing this alignment procedure on a bench in the garage, it will be interesting to see if I get better reception with the antenna mounted on the fender and the radio installed back in the car. I guess the real test will be when I take the car out in the open. Due to the Ohio weather, I’ll have to wait until the spring.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• 1955 - Motorola - 5MFS8 - Radio Repair.pdf
    746.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was doing the exact same thing...whatever Bill did, it works perfectly now :).

I generally leave it on all the time, with the volume turned down to listen to XM, but make a habit of "exercising" it every week or so (tuning different stations, using the T&C buttons and the pre-selects) and once a month or so turning it off and then back on (I want to go easy on the ON/OFF switch as I understand that if that fails, they're damned hard to find replacements). Things like this are meant to be *used*, just like cars and airplanes, to keep them working :).

ETA: I did buy the 1956 radio repair manual from one of the usual sites...the whole design and mechanisms are fully explained in there, and I found it fascinating how they all worked! I'd never trust myself to do a repair on my own (not to mention I don't have the proper test equipment at hand), but it's an interesting read!

It's the volume control that is almost impossible to find. I had to purchase an entire radio from eBay just to get the volume control for my radio.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

The one thing I noticed (and it was probably this way back in 1956 :)) is that the "tone" control doesn't seem to have much effect. But then again, it's AM radio, so it was probably never very effective!

You are correct, there is some difference when you turn the tone knob fully from left to right, but not much. You would probably notice the difference more with music rather than with talk radio. After I repaired the radio in my Thunderbird I was driving with my two grandchildren in the car and they kept asking why my radio didn't play music. I had to tell them that many years ago they use to play music on a AM radio, but now it's just talk radio.

That's what I get for being a purest.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Wow do I feel your pain. Navigating the radio stuff is a mess.

I have a "Custom Autosound USA04" currently....a radio/cassette player made to fit dash. A horrible horrible option IMO. I've never heard a radio that sounds so bad, so i figured must be the speaker. Nope. THD? immense. Noise? Immense. SNR? Tiny. Tape player? Boo. External input? Works, but has no option to turn off radio? Huh? Their prices are obscene. $800 for a radio that gets horrible reviews and may or may not work. The mechanical engineering is obviously where they spent their R&D, not the electrical. This looks like the largest mfg of these radios, and I'm thinking about starting a company to put them out of business. Doubt it would be too difficult. You can buy their radios many places - I would avoid the "class car stereos" website:

www.classiccarstereos.com
This place seems super shady. I just called this company to ask them some questions about their products...they show 2 6x9s as part of the package for my car, which made me wonder where they would mount them. Anyhow, called them and got put into an endless loop of sales pitches for medical alert bracelets, alternatives to cable, etc...targeting seniors as a scam it seems. Soooo, probably won't be ordering from them. Will stick with Crutchfield if possible. They look legit, but why when you call their support at 888-789-7297 do they try to sell you all this stuff you don't need, and never even mention radios?

These guys make some radios, with a much more reasonable price than the custom autosound, but I"m not sure if i have to cut the dash for it, and reviews say their systems are garbage too. Darn.

There is the hidden radio option:
"out of site radio" and other make bluetooth modules to hide with the radio. Lots of reports on them being poorly made and barely working.

The marine radio option:
I kind of like this solution but costly. The best one I saw is a hidden digital media receiver (rockford fosgate PMX-8BB), but $$ and no idea if it is junk or not. I'm guessing not.

There are some others I'm still looking at.

I'm also so frustrated I'm thinking about going rogue. I could just take a raspberry pi and program it to be my bluetooth interface, have it autodetect and switch audio to an amplifier, using the line level output. The Pi version W has bluetooth already built in. Might need a pre-amp on the way out haven't thought that far ahead though.

Then again I could cut the dash, put in a din radio bracket and just not look back. Put in any radio I want at that point. At least the next guy won't have to think about it.

I bought a modern radio from these guys. It looks pretty good, the model 740. If you want one that looks original, they also sell a replica. Cost would be similar to getting your old one fixed up with the modern stuff like bluetooth and MP3 capablity but it will be in a much smaller package. I put a dual voice coil speaker in place of the factory dash speaker and also put a couple small box speakers behind the seat in the trunk opening.

So my 2 cents on the radio is this. I drive a modern day diesel pickup that has what they call today… an “infotainment” system. I don’t care what that really means but if it’s on a chip, phone, streaming service, satellite or FCC radio band I can listen to it. Additionally, it’s quiet. I found the inside of my 56 is rumbly and loud. Enough to muddy up the radio sound where it’s competing with the interior noise and no one really wins. I thought about the magic upgrade as mentioned here. But, I think I will leave things alone

Here is an overkill option:

https://electronics.sony.com/audio/car-marine-audio/receiver-players/p/rsxgs9

Expensive, but not that much more when thinking about buying an $800 radio that sounds "just ok" or "it is what it is" (two quotes I saw in videos online). I would mount this under the seat or in the trunk, run the output of my "Custom Autosounds" radio into it, (came with the car, 1990s USA04) and the DSP will improve the sound by about 100%. That is just AM/FM I would do that for. Then I would do direct bluetooth streaming and hands free calling into the BT receiver there. Receiver output goes to amplifier and then out to speaker.

For 8" speakers, I think I'm going to buy some NOS kick panels, ($95) cut holes in them for speaker mounts. Vacuum seal the original kick panels and put in storage lol. Have 5 channels worth of sound then. Center console L/R, kick panel L/R + sub. Got an old Blaupunkt amp from the 80's (when they were good, before they were bought) that will do all 5 channels.

Still looking for a better option on bluetooth receiver. The chinese make some but I bet they sound horrible. If you just want to do streaming without calling it all becomes a lot easier.

Tapped into hot wire on volume pot, wire to glove box to store wire, phone mini plug on end of wire plugs into my phone which has fm radto app. Works great to ad fm to radio whey I want it.

Back