1957 312 engine repaint DIY

Oldhog
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have to pull the engine and scrape /sand clean etc. and repaint. Would anyone know if there are good paints to do this at home? I am redoing a 30 yr old engine restoration and I want it to be as nice as possible with today's new paints. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks, Ron
312.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I bought paint for my engine using a catalog that specializes in T-birds! It worked well.

When my engine was out of the car because I had to rebuild the transmission, I first used a power washer to clean the engine and remove any loose paint. Then I used a wire brush on a drill to remove any rust or loose paint that the power washer didn’t take care of. Make sure you plug any openings in the engine with paper shop rags so you do not get any water in the cylinders or in the crankcase.

100_6506.JPG

100_6507.JPG

100_6508.JPG

100_6509.JPG

Using a high temperature primer, I primed the engine before painting.

100_6512.JPG

100_6513.JPG

100_6514.JPG

I used Ford red/orange engine paint to paint the engine.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

100_6557.JPG

100_6558.JPG

100_6559.JPG

I found Duplicolor brand ceramic engine paint at an auto parts store down the road and used the ceramic grey primer and DE-1605 Ford Red.

(For the eagle-eyed folks out there, you are correct, it's not an original '55 engine.)

Attachments

• IMG_20160304_211334830.jpg
    IMG_20160304_211334830.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20160304_220227971.jpg
    IMG_20160304_220227971.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 292 eck, in.jpg
    292 eck, in.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
Off the cuff…. About how long would it take to remove an engine for paint? Then, is the reversal a lot longer?

Off the cuff…. About how long would it take to remove an engine for paint? Then, is the reversal a lot longer?
It depends on the tools and help you have available. From half a day to several days to remove. Plus disassembly and prep for paint.
Yes much longer to reinstall, due to the list of things you'll uncover that should be fixed... 'as long as it's already out'.

Last edited:
With the help of a friend we removed the engine and transmission in about 3 hours. dmsfrr is correct, it does take much longer to reinstall.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Al,

I have the energy, but I don't have a lift in my garage. All of the repairs I have done to both of my Thunderbirds the cars were on jack stands.

What I wouldn't give for a lift in my garage, but the ceiling is too low.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

That’s a big effort …I tried the Jack stands but I have a dirt driveway. Your last comment is something I have said for more than 35 years. I had 11 motorcycles in that garage at one point and was still restoring one. I have finally decided that IF this was happening, I could not put it off any longer so that is one reason for the pole barn. Things certainly got carried away as it was being built with the epoxy floors, foam insulation, 9 air drops but in the 10 months since I started, I just pooped out. My old larger than 2 car garage is becoming a great room for hangouts ( I do that more often now) but that pole barn is nice enough to live in. I told my son he is going to have one hell of garage some day.

My daughter gave me this led sign for my birthday… 2x4’ on clear plexiglass

74CDBB69-8811-423D-89F9-3366AF9E069F.jpeg8DA01917-A727-46F7-BF00-005A9E62DAA7.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s a big effort …I tried the Jack stands but I have a dirt driveway. Your last comment is something I have said for more than 35 years. I had 11 motorcycles in that garage at one point and was still restoring one. I have finally decided that IF this was happening, I could not put it off any longer so that is one reason for the pole barn. Things certainly got carried away as it was being built with the epoxy floors, foam insulation, 9 air drops but in the 10 months since I started, I just pooped out. My old larger than 2 car garage is becoming a great room for hangouts ( I do that more often now) but that pole barn is nice enough to live in. I told my son he is going to have one hell of garage some day.
Al,

After everything you went through to build that fabulous garage, don’t just poop out. You might not be as energetic or as fast as you once were, but the worst thing you can do is to just sit around on your computer. Don’t tell me that it’s because you are getting old; at the Restoration/Preservation facility where I volunteer, I’m one of the youngest ones there. Most of the volunteers I work with are in there 80’s. In fact, one volunteer on my team is 92 year old! He can’t do much physically anymore, but each week he still comes to help out.

My advice to everyone is to keep moving. Doing something. Don't just sit around.

That’s why I volunteer as a Docent at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo, I’m involved in the Classic Thunderbird Club of Northern Ohio, I volunteer at the Restoration/Preservation facility of the Crawford Auto Museum and I help out on this forum.

Health is wealth my friend.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

First to doug7740; Thanks for your many posts. It's obvious that you have a wealth of knowledge regarding these early birds and always offer heplful responses to members questions. I'm even more impressed to think that all your work has been done on jackstands! Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

And to knuckle47; I may have had a head start on your pole barn as we move to our current location in '05. One of my first priorities was to build a "barn" as there was no garage. I resisted putting in a lift though as i figured I'd be tripping over it most of the time as I only have a single garage door (and only 8 motorcycles). But I was able to install a couple of chain hoists from the trusses which, along with a rotisserie, allowed me to do a complet frame off.

Back