1956 wide white wall size

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

What size wide white wall radial tires are best fit for a '56?
I’m just about to pull the trigger on a set of 5 Coker American Classics 6.70R 15. These aren’t cheap but my wife and I are worth it as is our ‘56 Raven. This radial tire is an exact bias ply size, so there won’t be any rubbing or skirts being torn off..

I have the same Coker tires on my 56.....

I have those Coker's on my Thunderbirds as well. They are a compromise. Because of the narrower tread width, they do not ride as well as a full 78 series Radial tire, but because of the fit and visual appearance, I am very satisfied.

I’m just about to pull the trigger on a set of 5 Coker American Classics 6.70R 15. These aren’t cheap but my wife and I are worth it as is our ‘56 Raven. This radial tire is an exact bias ply size, so there won’t be any rubbing or skirts being torn off..
Why 5? You're not expecting to use the continental kit as an *actual* spare tire, are you?

I wouldn't use the continental spare tire. It's like opening a pandora's box. I have a donut spare that I keep in the trunk for a emergency.

Attachments

• pic66.jpg
    pic66.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 9
I wouldn't use the continental spare tire. It's like opening a pandora's box. I have a donut spare that I keep in the trunk for an emergency.
is it because it’s a real pain to remove or is it something else?

is it because it’s a real pain to remove or is it something else?
If you did a poll, I think you'll find that a large majority of 56 owners carry a donut spare (and a AAA card) and don't use the continental "spare" tire because it's a booger to get off and on (without tearing up paint, etc.).

If you did a poll, I think you'll find that a large majority of 56 owners carry a donut spare (and a AAA card) and don't use the continental "spare" tire because it's a booger to get off and on (without tearing up paint, etc.).
Already have the AAA, maybe a save a few bucks and go the donut path as well. Thanks

I wouldn't use the continental spare tire. It's like opening a pandora's box. I have a donut spare that I keep in the trunk for a emergency.
Please, Where did you get this doughnut spare? What is the size? Thank You

I bought 5 Diamond- Back radials 2.5” WW’s two years ago, the best ride ever and they never yellow. I’ve driven my 55 from NY to Memphis, Tennessee and from NY to Springfield, MO. and back on Diamondbacks; one club member with Coker’s was not so fortunate.

The reason Ford Motor Company created the Continental Kit on the 1956 is because of the number of complaints
from owners of the 1955 Thunderbird which had the spare tire in the trunk leaving very little space for much else.
By all means be sure to put a spare tire in the kit!!!

The reason Ford Motor Company created the Continental Kit on the 1956 is because of the number of complaints
from owners of the 1955 Thunderbird which had the spare tire in the trunk leaving very little space for much else.
Does anyone have a BEST procedure for removing and replacing the spare in the Continental kit?

Ford Motor Company listened to the owners of the 1955 Thunderbird when made the 1956. See the attached article from the December 1955 Popular Mechanics magazine.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Popular Mechanics - Dec 1955.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
I have the original Firestone spare on a rim, aired hard, no cracks! It is a 15" rim. On my 55, I have Mags and Cooper Cobras 205/75-15 Radials. They are tight but fit. Just don't take a turn up a steep driveway entrance going too fast or you will scuff the fender well when the front tires are turned sharply. Check how wide your rims are to see if they are OK for the tire. Coker Tire has all the old stuff.

Attachments

• Original Spare.jpg
    Original Spare.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • Original Spare size.jpg
    Original Spare size.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • Wheels n Tires.jpg
    Wheels n Tires.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Back