1956- Researching car history before purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
johniew398
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 1956 Thunderbird.

This will be a gift for my wife.

How do you research/verify the background on a car that old. I know carfax doesn't work.

Attachments

• 52d43a2fdde523a734b7255f627e1a89.jpg
    52d43a2fdde523a734b7255f627e1a89.jpg
    772.9 KB · Views: 0

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I've updated your title to something related to your post.

P.S. carfax is a joke IMHO. SEE-

Ok, I've found some information on the car including a video. I will definitely join full time as soon as I purchase the car.
Get the vin number. I belive you can still get a Marty auto report on it. As for service history. Well good luck on that. For a vehicle that old you would have to rely on if the previous owners had kept records. Most do not. Also was it previously restored?

Get the vin number. I belive you can still get a Marty auto report on it. As for service history. Well good luck on that. For a vehicle that old you would have to rely on if the previous owners had kept records. Most do not. Also was it previously restored?
Hey OAO, what's a "Marty" auto report? Doug

Hi Joniew

It's difficult to get history on these older cars. But one thing you can do is to use a VIN decoder and the data plate (usually on the door or door jamb) to check and see if it's the car that the seller is representing it to be.

A few weeks ago, I was close to buying what I thought was a Plymouth Duster (yes, not a TBird, I do have a life) and by checking out the VIN, determined it was actually a Dodge Dart. Very similar cars, except the Dusters are worth 30-50% more than the Darts. Checking the VIN was almost an afterthought for me, but really it should be near the top of the check list.

Doug

Hey OAO, what's a "Marty" auto report? Doug
Oh sorry its Marti Auto Works. Sadly though they only go back to 1967 for vehicle history. Here's the one for my car.
Marty_report-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back