1956- Researching car history before purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
johniew398
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a 1956 Thunderbird.

This will be a gift for my wife.

How do you research/verify the background on a car that old. I know carfax doesn't work.

Attachments

• 52d43a2fdde523a734b7255f627e1a89.jpg
    52d43a2fdde523a734b7255f627e1a89.jpg
    772.9 KB · Views: 0

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I've updated your title to something related to your post.

P.S. carfax is a joke IMHO. SEE-

Ok, I've found some information on the car including a video. I will definitely join full time as soon as I purchase the car.
Get the vin number. I belive you can still get a Marty auto report on it. As for service history. Well good luck on that. For a vehicle that old you would have to rely on if the previous owners had kept records. Most do not. Also was it previously restored?

Get the vin number. I belive you can still get a Marty auto report on it. As for service history. Well good luck on that. For a vehicle that old you would have to rely on if the previous owners had kept records. Most do not. Also was it previously restored?
Hey OAO, what's a "Marty" auto report? Doug

Hi Joniew

It's difficult to get history on these older cars. But one thing you can do is to use a VIN decoder and the data plate (usually on the door or door jamb) to check and see if it's the car that the seller is representing it to be.

A few weeks ago, I was close to buying what I thought was a Plymouth Duster (yes, not a TBird, I do have a life) and by checking out the VIN, determined it was actually a Dodge Dart. Very similar cars, except the Dusters are worth 30-50% more than the Darts. Checking the VIN was almost an afterthought for me, but really it should be near the top of the check list.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back