1956 Rear engine seal leak

Kaveman

Kaveman

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Bought a 1956 t-bird last year, rear engine seal seems to be leaking fixed it with a plastic one but didn’t last hardly at all. any way to repair this or what’s the best way to fix something like this pull the engine put the rope or what would you suggest

If you search the forum there was a thread titled as below. Someone responded with an attached an awesome repair article and they mention the allowed amount of play forward/backwards the crankshaft should have. I've never had a car with a Y block but I would take a stab that maybe it would be worth looking into? Especially if you're going to take it apart again.

"rear main seal replacement 1955 Tbird"

Attached is information on replacing the rear main seal.

I hope this is the information that you are looking for.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Install-Rear-Main-Seal-1.jpgInstall-Rear-Main-Seal-2.jpg

Bought a 1956 t-bird last year, rear engine seal seems to be leaking fixed it with a plastic one but didn’t last hardly at all. any way to repair this or what’s the best way to fix something like this pull the engine put the rope or what would you suggest
check "Best Gasket" website for their new rope black Graphite rear main seal.

check "Best Gasket" website for their new rope black Graphite rear main seal.
312 or 292? They use different sealing methods. If 292 fixable, if 312 a long history of leaking even after various methods and types of fixes.

good luck?

Replaced my 312 rear main with a Prestige Thunderbird (California) kit. Comes with considerably larger seal than Best kit and new lower block.
They list a kit for 292 as well. I had done a Best neoprene seal and only got about a week out of it. Can be done in the car laying on the floor :)

Looking forward to hearing the results
I talked with best gasket and although they won’t tell me what’s in their seals they claim it’s not neoprene. Plus they refuse to admit their new rope seal with graphite must have the crank removed to properly install. But it does

Looking forward to hearing the results
Could follow the oil drop trail in the drive way and into the garage previously with Best seal, purchased and installed “Prestigue Thunderbird kit (I have NO affiliation with the business) with only hand polishing the crank (in the engine, in the car) and following their VERY explicit directions, now only get about a dime size spot on pad under the car after extensive cruise. I can live with that.
I’m sure had the crank been out and turned it would be NO leaks.
Just my experience and opinion.
good luck
Roger 57Bird

Could follow the oil drop trail in the drive way and into the garage previously with Best seal, purchased and installed “Prestigue Thunderbird kit (I have NO affiliation with the business) with only hand polishing the crank (in the engine, in the car) and following their VERY explicit directions, now only get about a dime size spot on pad under the car after extensive cruise. I can live with that.
I’m sure had the crank been out and turned it would be NO leaks.
Just my experience and opinion.
good luck
Roger 57Bird
Thanks for the follow up, mine leaks and will be attempting a repair maybe next winter

Thanks for the follow up, mine leaks and will be attempting a repair maybe next winter
I replaced my rear main seal with a neoprene seal from Concours Parts. Guess where it came from? Yep Best Gaskets. Since parade and car show is upon us I installed it. Still a very small leak but now the Power steering pump tank is leaking. That's another battle.

Back