1956 Rear engine seal leak

Kavenan

Bought a 1956 t-bird last year, rear engine seal seems to be leaking fixed it with a plastic one but didn’t last hardly at all. any way to repair this or what’s the best way to fix something like this pull the engine put the rope or what would you suggest

If you search the forum there was a thread titled as below. Someone responded with an attached an awesome repair article and they mention the allowed amount of play forward/backwards the crankshaft should have. I've never had a car with a Y block but I would take a stab that maybe it would be worth looking into? Especially if you're going to take it apart again.

"rear main seal replacement 1955 Tbird"

jack-in-sac

If you have a 292 you can probably stop or at least slow the leaking to a great extent. If you have a 312, you have a problem. The engines use a different seal configuration. I have seen a number of possible rear main seal fixes for 312 seals.; Modern rubber seal, adapted Jaguar seal, adapted Chrysler seal, and a couple of others that I don't remeber at this time. Pretty much all of the "fixes" do not stop the leaks in the long term. I suggest you join the national club, Classic Thunderbird Club International and also one of their local chapters.
Good luck to you, John

Attachments

Kavenan

Kavenan

If you have a 292 you can probably stop or at least slow the leaking to a great extent. If you have a 312, you have a problem. The engines use a different seal configuration. I have seen a number of possible rear main seal fixes for 312 seals.; Modern rubber seal, adapted Jaguar seal, adapted Chrysler seal, and a couple of others that I don't remeber at this time. Pretty much all of the "fixes" do not stop the leaks in the long term. I suggest you join the national club, Classic Thunderbird Club International and also one of their local chapters.
Good luck to you, John
Thank you for your reply I appreciate your time

Kavenan

If you search the forum there was a thread titled as below. Someone responded with an attached an awesome repair article and they mention the allowed amount of play forward/backwards the crankshaft should have. I've never had a car with a Y block but I would take a stab that maybe it would be worth looking into? Especially if you're going to take it apart again.

"rear main seal replacement 1955 Tbird"
Thank you