1956 manual seat pull

A
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1956 Tbird and I took the bench seat out , it was not working. I got a new cable from CASCO took the tracks off to clean and lub them. The drivers side has the correct mechanism to fit the wire and adjust it but the passenger side just has a L shape plate with a 1/4" hole in it. I looked in the shop manual but could not find anything on the seat mechanism, also look at a number of the store with no luck. Does anyone know what is suppose to be on the passengers side? Thanks Jerry

I found a picture of the seat hardware at Hill and mine does look the same . I thought there sold be some hardware to connect the cable to the hole in the passenger side? Thanks for any input.
Tbird 19.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The cable should run from the drivers side and attach to the passenger side to release the seat

Yes I got that , what I was wondering does it just go in that hole? I thought it might be miss a hardware part to hold it in like the driver side,

I haven't seen the end of the cable, Is it hooked to just slip into the release lever? If so the tension on the release lever spring should keep it in place. If you have to pull on it to drop in you should be good to go as everything else is working. Just make sure each catch is in the corresponding keeper so everything is symmetrical.

There is a double bend in the end that goes on the passenger side. Insert it perpendicular to the arm on the seat track and rotate it parallel to “lock” it in. The driver side has the hardware and screw to adjust the tension. Mine never has worked that well, I just leave it all the way back since the cockpit is tiny and I’m 6’2”.

I have a 57 manual seat and can't tell if what is mounted to the seats is the correct bracket slider. Do you have a parts diagram of the manual seat slider?

Attachments

• 20221010_170818.jpg
    20221010_170818.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
Hey all. Helping my Dad out on one of his 56 T-Birds. The manual bench seat is stuck in place and the lever on the drivers side only moves a little bit. I stuck my hand under the driver side area from the back side and it is gritty dirty under there. I am guessing there may be some rust involved.

Glad I found this thread. Those pictures are great, but I have one question: How in the world do you go about getting the seat out of the car to work on the mechanism?

Thank you for any advice you can give on this.

Best Regards,

Johnny O

The tracks have two studs each that protrude through the floorboard. Remove the four nuts underneath the car and the seat can be lifted up and out.

Attachments

• 20210222_224442.jpg
    20210222_224442.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
Y-8, Thank you for the Information and picture. I will give that a try.

Best,

JohnnyO

Back