1956 Jack stand positioning

@Frankie the Fink REALLY nice Corvette ….thank you for that link to Race Ramps. My friend has those ramps on his Backyard Buddy lift. The Aluminum ones that came with it are still heavy. These plastic ones are so easy to handle

I shook the car to determine the stability. It seems solid …. but I am sure the Jacks are not supporting the frame equally. When I lowered the floor Jack it just did not settle with the same pressure on the Jack stand up front. They do not move at all but it’s more of a gut feeling. But like you mentioned, I’m just not comfortable. I may have been lucky for the last 40 years OR either I gotten smarter or I’m thinking luck can change.

Next are brakes and brake booster…my need some luck here

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

@Frankie the Fink REALLY nice Corvette ….thank you for that link to Race Ramps. My friend has those ramps on his Backyard Buddy lift. The Aluminum ones that came with it are still heavy. These plastic ones are so easy to handle

I shook the car to determine the stability. It seems solid …. but I am sure the Jacks are not supporting the frame equally. When I lowered the floor Jack it just did not settle with the same pressure on the Jack stand up front. They do not move at all but it’s more of a gut feeling. But like you mentioned, I’m just not comfortable. I may have been lucky for the last 40 years OR either I gotten smarter or I’m thinking luck can change.

Next are brakes and brake booster…my need some luck here
Don't be afraid of the booster. Get the rebuild kit $200+ and don't forget a new diaphragm and if you are confident rebuild it yourself. I'm a novice on hydraulics so I sent it to my local Mustang shop. They have a genius there. The owner told be he hired him from a small motor shop, Lawn mowers etc. but the guy has an inherent talent that they now have him doing transmissions also. $275 for the talent so I'm about $500 into it VS. $1K Plus sending it out.
If it feels solid when shaking it you are probably good. I understand your trepidation Just probably a not perfectly level surface unlike working on concrete.

Last edited:
This will be my second booster. I did the ‘57 back in late December and I owe it all to @jimntempe and his great booster rebuild video. If you have not seen it, even if you have the man doing the work, you gain a significant understanding of how and why the unit works as it does. By the way, which brake fluid are you planning to use DOT 3 or 4

It’s about 18 posts down the line

I can second that the Race Ramp wheel cribs feel very secure to me. I haven’t done a ton of work from underneath the car, but the little bit I have done felt *much* more secure with using those.

This will be my second booster. I did the ‘57 back in late December and I owe it all to @jimntempe and his great booster rebuild video. If you have not seen it, even if you have the man doing the work, you gain a significant understanding of how and why the unit works as it does. By the way, which brake fluid are you planning to use DOT 3 or 4

It’s about 18 posts down the line
I'd stick with DOT3 Don't want to mix them like you can with engine oil. Even though there are arguments about that.

Back