1956 horn always on

woodeye

woodeye

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
When I turn left or go straight horn sounds continuously. As I turn right it stops any idea what might be grounding.
To remove horn ring I read about removing 2 small screws from back of column but didn't see any. I also read you push horn ring in and rotate counter clockwise. Which is correct?
Also where is horn relay so I can disable it while I figure things out
Thanks Jeff

When I turn left or go straight horn sounds continuously. As I turn right it stops any idea what might be grounding.
To remove horn ring I read about removing 2 small screws from back of column but didn't see any. I also read you push horn ring in and rotate counter clockwise. Which is correct?
Also where is horn relay so I can disable it while I figure things out
Thanks Jeff
push and turn counter clockwise remove horn ring, the horn contact comes up thru steering column and meets to horn ring when pushed, it may be a bad contact or horn brass contact is worn.
Relay is on drivers side front corners follow the wiring from horns and disconnect.

Use the 4 digit model year in the subject on future posts as prompted. This helps people find your post. Updated to 1956.

Also see this related post with photos-

model-year-TBF.jpg

Last edited:
Important! The 55s have two screws on back of steering wheel.
Don't push to turn horn center on 1955 models.

Thanks for your help so far.
I may have discovered the problem.
The wire that goes up the steering shaft has been spliced and bare wire is visible just as it exits the shaft. Can I assume that the wire goes all the way up to the brass button under the horn ring. I'm reluctant to pull on the button as the splice might come apart. Will the button and wire come right out or is there more necessary to be removed to get the wire out to make a repair to it. Can a new wire be fished through (up or down) the column. I don't think there is enough sticking out of steering tube to tie on to, for use as pull wire. Is any one aware of a description or diagram or utube vid. of disassembly of column, or how to make this type of repair.
As long as I have steering column apart I should investigate the directional switch. Blinkers worked slowly and intermittently at first but now nothing. Sw. probably isn't the problem but as long as I have it apart you know.
How is the horn relay wired. Mine has 2 wires on terminal closest to the front of car nothing on middle terminal and 2 wires on 3rd terminal closest to rear of car. Picture of relay in Ford shop manual shows wires on all 3 terminals. I'm unable to see colored tracers on any of the wires. All the wires are very hard and stiff. Almost as if the insulation might break if bent too much. The 1st and mid terminal are always hot and 3rd one isn't ever hot. Is the 3rd the signal wire from the horn ring button.
Thanks Jeff

My mistake. I took the relayoff the inner finder and one of the 2 wires that I thiought went to the 1st terminal actually is on middle terminal. I'm going to try to attach a couple of pics of the inside of the horn ring and top of the steering column. There is some black hard plastic stuff on horn ring?? and brass button wasn't out quite as far as it is now but when I push it back in it pops back out??
16234449045526655921744070097734.jpg16234450137145598428352922700680.jpg16234450699972626576996999619817.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
looks likes someone has tried to insulate the horn , cause it was blowing off all the time... i would be putting in a new horn switch and wire and cleaning all that off, then go from there.

The brass button pops out because it is spring loaded. It is designed to make contact with the middle of the horn ring. The system is a little bit complicated because it has to take into account the telescoping steering column. There is no horn switch as such. The switch is on/off and is on when the horn ring is pressed. There is a horn relay but that is obviously working or the horn wouldn't blow. I would replace the horn wire. It isn't too expensive and is the first place there could be a problem.
Lew Bachman
1957 Colonial White

Well Mr Bachman now you've opened pandora's box. I was going to ask if someone could explain the telescoping column to me. Mine has a grooved collar below the steering wheel. I assume that is how you unclamp it to allow it to move in and out. I gripped mine and tried to rotate it but no luck. Do they get stuck or jamed. I don't know if it all the way in or out. Are they a common problem or am I just lucky.
Ps. I am ordering a new horn wire and will probably address it the directionals and maybe the telescoping column at the same time.

looks likes someone has tried to insulate the horn , cause it was blowing off all the time... i would be putting in a new horn switch and wire and cleaning all that off, then go from there.
Thanks for your thoughts. I am ordering a new wire and some other things but I was wondering what you were referring to when you said to "put in a new horn switch". Are you talking about the horn relay?

Well Mr Bachman now you've opened pandora's box. I was going to ask if someone could explain the telescoping column to me. Mine has a grooved collar below the steering wheel. I assume that is how you unclamp it to allow it to move in and out. I gripped mine and tried to rotate it but no luck. Do they get stuck or jamed. I don't know if it all the way in or out. Are they a common problem or am I just lucky.
Ps. I am ordering a new horn wire and will probably address it the directionals and maybe the telescoping column at the same time.
All 56 and 57 T-Birds have the same steering column. What you have to do is grasp the chromed collar and turn it about half a turn to loosen it. Unfortunately, if the previous owner never loosened the collar then it can easily be stuck. If that is the case then you will probably have to use something like a strap wrench (to avoid marring the chrome collar) to get the force that you need to break it loose. I would think this is a fairly common problem.
Lew

Make sure that you are turning the chromed collar in the right direction. The collar must be turned clockwise to loosen. If the chromed collar is too tight, usually from someone turning it the wrong way, CASCO sells a tool to loosen it. I know the tool is pricey, but not so much compared to a new chromed collar.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Make sure that you are turning the chromed collar in the right direction. The collar must be turned clockwise to loosen. If the chromed collar is too tight, usually from someone turning it the wrong way, CASCO sells a tool to loosen it. I know the tool is pricey, but not so much compared to a new chromed collar.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Well I was able to get the collar to turn using a strap wrench. Still quite stiff, hard to turn . Must use 2 hands or strap wrench. When it is rotated what appears to be all the way, you can feel a solid stop point left or rt, I tried to pull wheel out and push in but it wouldn't move. I'm reluctant to to force it. Is that all you do is pull or push. How do I know if it's in or out now. Does anyone have a pic. of the relationship between the wheel and the collar when in or out, Any idea on how to get it to move?
I ordered the horn wire so I'll take the wheel off as soon as I get it if that would help to get access to collar etc.

Attached are the pictures that you requested.

IMG_3963.JPGIMG_3964.JPG

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

If it was that tough to break loose, I'd recommend soaking it in penetrating oil such as PB Blaster and letting it sit for a day or so. If it hasn't been adjusted in years It could be pretty stiff. Be patient. I have to adjust mine all the time as the tonau cover was cut when the wheel was all the way out but I drive with it in.

Hi @Ward 57
Looks like you're helping out on a couple of threads I've started. Thanks
Where Would you spray the PB up underneath the collar using the straw that comes with the can?
I got the collar to move. I just can't get the column to go in-and-out.

Moderator note: Put the @ sign in front of a user's name to mention them. See revised post above.

The brass button pops out because it is spring loaded. It is designed to make contact with the middle of the horn ring. The system is a little bit complicated because it has to take into account the telescoping steering column. There is no horn switch as such. The switch is on/off and is on when the horn ring is pressed. There is a horn relay but that is obviously working or the horn wouldn't blow. I would replace the horn wire. It isn't too expensive and is the first place there could be a problem.
Lew Bachman
1957 Colonial White
Maybe you can help me and explain how the horn button stays positioned when the steering column is telescoped. When I lower the column the horn button rises out of position. it seems like the horn button should be very tight fitting although mine isn’t which might explain intermittent horn blowing. Any comment would be appreciated.

Hi @Ward 57
Looks like you're helping out on a couple of threads I've started. Thanks
Where Would you spray the PB up underneath the collar using the straw that comes with the can?
I got the collar to move. I just can't get the column to go in-and-out.

Moderator note: Put the @ sign in front of a user's name to mention them. See revised post above.
I would start under the collar as that's where the up-down movement is. Spray from the top to help loosen up the adjusting ring. These cars were designed for smaller people especially the ease of driving for the wife of the guys who wanted a sports car but had to convince the spouse that it was a good idea. I'm small, 5'6 130lbs. and I drive with the wheel all the way in and seat all the way back. I'm sure that that function has never been used and just needs to be persuaded a little at a time. I'm 67 and my body needs a little persuasion to get to full function.

If you get the collar loose and turn it all the way down towards the dash, look underneath of the column and there is a screw that is in the slot where the column slides in and out. You will be able to see if it is all the way one way or the other.

I am finally getting around to installing the horn ring assembly. Just wondering if there is a schematic on how to assemble the horn ring. I bought the complete horn ring kit and the old stuff is long gone. There are a lot of pieces. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Back