1956 Glove Box key and lock

G

George Clayton

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My glove box will not stay closed. Removed locking mechanism. Seems like it should have a spring but does not. Found 2 different looking glove box locks on eBay. One looks like mine and another is only similar.
These range from $49 to $300 on eBay. Not sure if mine is original and can be adjusted or I need to purchase another one. But which one? The two sellers both claim they are original on 56 t bird. Need help.

Does the cylinder tongue forcefully extend? Does your key work?
When you push the button does the tongue retract all the way? I had a problem with my 55 and it was only an adjustment of the locking plate At the top of the glove box. Have you cleaned and lubricated the lock mechanism?

Does the cylinder tongue forcefully extend? Does your key work?
When you push the button does the tongue retract all the way? I had a problem with my 55 and it was only an adjustment of the locking plate At the top of the glove box. Have you cleaned and lubricated the lock mechanism?
The key does not work. Not sure if the tongue retracts all the way but it seems it doesn't extend down far enough. Will clean it for sure.

The key does not work. Not sure if the tongue retracts all the way but it seems it doesn't extend down far enough. Will clean it for sure.
The lock should be keyed with the trunk lock. You should be able to have one or the other re-keyed so they match whichever is easier to remove and take to a locksmith.

I do not have a key for the glove box. How can I get a key that fits without buying a whole new cylinder?

The lock for the ignition and the glove box are supposed to be the same. If your ignition key doesn't work on the glove box, take your key and the glove box lock to a locksmith. They should be able to get the glove box lock to match the key or cut a new key for the glove box.

My key would turn the lock but not unlock it. I ended up removing the cardboard box from the rear of the dash to access the lock. I removed the pins from the lock. It now functions, but it can be locked/unlocked with any key; that doesn't concern me. If a thief manages to enter my car, accessing the glove box will be the least of my worries.

I just remembered there's no need to remove the cardboard box to access the lock. It's held in place at the back of the dash by a simple u-clip.

After its being in the family for 50 years, I was hoping to find treasure in the glove box. I was disappointed to find just some registration certificates from the 80s.

The lock for the ignition and the glove box are supposed to be the same. If your ignition key doesn't work on the glove box, take your key and the glove box lock to a locksmith. They should be able to get the glove box lock to match the key or cut a new key for the glove box.
I thought it was the same as the key to the *trunk*?

In any case, any good locksmith can fix it.

I thought it was the same as the key to the *trunk*?

In any case, any good locksmith can fix it.
You are correct - I goofed up on that one. The trunk and glove box use the same key, the ignition and door use the same key

I have a beautiful 1957, but clearly I have problems with the glove box and trunk locks. I have a key, clearly not original, that came with the car. it goes into both the glove box lock and the trunk. In both cases when I turn the key, it simple turns 360 degrees, and never stops. I cannot get the glove box button to go in or the glove box open. The trunk eventually did open but then would not latch shut. After trying several times it finally latched. How do I approach this? Do I do this with new cylinders? Can the glove box and trunk keys match? Is this usually done by a locksmith. Obviously I'm not too mechanical. Thanks.

You will probably need to take the glove box lock out to see why it's not releasing the latch. Yes, the trunk & glove box key is the same and the ignition and door key should match also.
My '57 trunk is the same way, I have to slam it pretty hard to latch. The seals are pretty tight. The glove box latch subject is covered in several threads on here.

I’m looking for a glove box lock for a 1956 thunderbird anyone with one they can part with contact me

Back