1956 Glove Box key and lock

Thunderbird Year
My glove box will not stay closed. Removed locking mechanism. Seems like it should have a spring but does not. Found 2 different looking glove box locks on eBay. One looks like mine and another is only similar.
These range from $49 to $300 on eBay. Not sure if mine is original and can be adjusted or I need to purchase another one. But which one? The two sellers both claim they are original on 56 t bird. Need help.

zeroroadkill

Thunderbird Year
Does the cylinder tongue forcefully extend? Does your key work?
When you push the button does the tongue retract all the way? I had a problem with my 55 and it was only an adjustment of the locking plate At the top of the glove box. Have you cleaned and lubricated the lock mechanism?

Thunderbird Year
I wouldn't trust either one. $ 300 ? Obnoxious. Contact Amos Minter Email amosminter@************* or 972.931.3357. He has restored many T-Birds, has a wrecking yard of unrestorable cars and could advise you. You may have to just remove the latch and see what's up and find a spring locally if needed.

Thunderbird Year
Does the cylinder tongue forcefully extend? Does your key work?
When you push the button does the tongue retract all the way? I had a problem with my 55 and it was only an adjustment of the locking plate At the top of the glove box. Have you cleaned and lubricated the lock mechanism?
The key does not work. Not sure if the tongue retracts all the way but it seems it doesn't extend down far enough. Will clean it for sure.

Thunderbird Year
The key does not work. Not sure if the tongue retracts all the way but it seems it doesn't extend down far enough. Will clean it for sure.
The lock should be keyed with the trunk lock. You should be able to have one or the other re-keyed so they match whichever is easier to remove and take to a locksmith.

Thunderbird Year
The lock for the ignition and the glove box are supposed to be the same. If your ignition key doesn't work on the glove box, take your key and the glove box lock to a locksmith. They should be able to get the glove box lock to match the key or cut a new key for the glove box.

Thunderbird Year
My key would turn the lock but not unlock it. I ended up removing the cardboard box from the rear of the dash to access the lock. I removed the pins from the lock. It now functions, but it can be locked/unlocked with any key; that doesn't concern me. If a thief manages to enter my car, accessing the glove box will be the least of my worries.

Thunderbird Year
I just remembered there's no need to remove the cardboard box to access the lock. It's held in place at the back of the dash by a simple u-clip.

After its being in the family for 50 years, I was hoping to find treasure in the glove box. I was disappointed to find just some registration certificates from the 80s.

Thunderbird Year
The lock for the ignition and the glove box are supposed to be the same. If your ignition key doesn't work on the glove box, take your key and the glove box lock to a locksmith. They should be able to get the glove box lock to match the key or cut a new key for the glove box.
I thought it was the same as the key to the *trunk*?

In any case, any good locksmith can fix it.