1956 front disc break 15 inch wheels hitting calipers

D
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My mechanic just installed disc brakes on the front. (Master power brakes was the brand) the stock 15 inch wheels are hitting the calibers. We’ve tried a 1/4 spacer, but they still hit. Looking for help.
thank you
david

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

It would help to post pictures.

I would like to know how many of these conversions go without a hitch. I've heard of success, failures and more modifications needed. These are not plug & play conversions. The different technologies don't mix well without a big wallet.

I would like to know how many of these conversions go without a hitch. I've heard of success, failures and more modifications needed. These are not plug & play conversions. The different technologies don't mix well without a big wallet.
My conversion using 14" wheels on my '57 went relatively easy with a couple of minor glitches.
1.seller had to replace a defective caliper mount.
2. Using original 14" wheels required me to use a spacer to clear the calipers. that was not a big deal.
If I had used 14" wheels from the 60s designed to use with disc brakes there would be no problem in clearance. The hoop is configured with the proper clearance.
3. I converted to a dual master cylinder. I do not have power brakes and have no problem with applying pedal pressure for sure stops. I have contemplated relocating the MC pedal arm mount for a more leverage and travel. At this time I do not have any stopping issues. While re-plumbing the system, I added an adjustable balancing valve going to the rear wheels. I could have avoided that step by changing to '55 rear wheel cylinders. I also added a low pressure (2#) valve to maintain light caliper pressure.
4. As long as I was changing parts of the braking system I fabricated a mechanical brake light switch.
Again there were no big issues in converting to front disc brakes. Just a little thought and elbow grease here and there. I did some things that were not necessary but otherwise pretty much plug and play. My wallet entailed no noticeable bruising.

My conversion using 14" wheels on my '57 went relatively easy with a couple of minor glitches.
1.seller had to replace a defective caliper mount.
2. Using original 14" wheels required me to use a spacer to clear the calipers. that was not a big deal.
If I had used 14" wheels from the 60s designed to use with disc brakes there would be no problem in clearance. The hoop is configured with the proper clearance.
3. I converted to a dual master cylinder. I do not have power brakes and have no problem with applying pedal pressure for sure stops. I have contemplated relocating the MC pedal arm mount for a more leverage and travel. At this time I do not have any stopping issues. While re-plumbing the system, I added an adjustable balancing valve going to the rear wheels. I could have avoided that step by changing to '55 rear wheel cylinders. I also added a low pressure (2#) valve to maintain light caliper pressure.
4. As long as I was changing parts of the braking system I fabricated a mechanical brake light switch.
Again there were no big issues in converting to front disc brakes. Just a little thought and elbow grease here and there. I did some things that were not necessary but otherwise pretty much plug and play. My wallet entailed no noticeable bruising.
Count your blessings and engineering talent. Not a job for a novice in engineering like me. I just maintain the originality and leave it at that. Fun to drive as is.

Count your blessings and engineering talent. Not a job for a novice in engineering like me. I just maintain the originality and leave it at that. Fun to drive as is.
Ward that is the most important thing; FUN! We are definitely on the same page there.

I put on this set of rims/tires:
Wheels & Tires American Racing Torqer II 286 VN5155665
15" x 6"/5Bolt x 4½/ 3¼" Rear Space
For your braking system, I suggest you get the
Wilwood M Cyl & Proportioning Block 261-13626-P
This went together without a hitch. I removed the power steering booster which is no longer needed due to the increase in manual braking

The only issue is if you go up a driveway while turning sharply. The tires are wide and they will touch the fender when the suspension reaches toward peak retraction. Small price to pay given the major benefits of a much better surface contact area and modern rubber.
For further stability, install a rear stabilizer bar.

My mechanic just installed disc brakes on the front. (Master power brakes was the brand) the stock 15 inch wheels are hitting the calibers. We’ve tried a 1/4 spacer, but they still hit. Looking for help.
thank you
david
Sorry about that. I bought my kit (15 years ago) from prestige thunderbird. It was plug and play with no interference with my stock 15 inch wheels. Give them a call—they might have some ideas.

Maybe the areas that are interfering can be ground down a bit? Good luck.

I put on this set of rims/tires:
Wheels & Tires American Racing Torqer II 286 VN5155665
15" x 6"/5Bolt x 4½/ 3¼" Rear Space
For your braking system, I suggest you get the
Wilwood M Cyl & Proportioning Block 261-13626-P
This went together without a hitch. I removed the power steering booster which is no longer needed due to the increase in manual braking

The only issue is if you go up a driveway while turning sharply. The tires are wide and they will touch the fender when the suspension reaches toward peak retraction. Small price to pay given the major benefits of a much better surface contact area and modern rubber.
For further stability, install a rear stabilizer bar.
The Torque thrust wheels may have an influence. You didn't say what size tire you are using. That may have a bearing on interference. Modern radial tires are in general wider than their bias ply predecessors, IMHO. I have found, again in my experience and opinion; that a 78 aspect is better to clear the suspension than 70 aspect or or a lessor wider indicting number. Your change in parameter of wheels doesn't make it apples and oranges but at least apples a pears.

Last edited:
Back