1956 Ford-o-matic rear band adjustment difficulty

swatson999
Last seen
Viewing thread 1955 292 timing marks
Thunderbird Year
Just continuing to work through little things to clean up/replace/adjust on my new-to-me 56, and next up seems to be a bit of transmission stuff. I know next to nothing about automatic transmissions, so now is when I start to get a little leery of things, *but*...

Occasional "clunky" or "hard" shifting from 2-3, and now that we've adjusted the throttle control linkage so that the kickdown works, from 1-2. The Ford-o-matic (I love that name :)) manual Troubleshooting grid seems to indicate that (one of) the most likely cause(s) is the rear band needing adjustment. Can anyone tell me how difficult or easy this is to do? The manual indicates that it needs some special tool...is that true? Any advice, warnings, etc.?

I'm willing to give it a go if it's reasonably simple, fairly easy to access, and hard to do something bad that causes a much more expensive repairs; on the other hand, I'm also willing to pay someone to do it if that's a better option.

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

Steve
56 Fiesta Red

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Use the four-digit model year in your subject on future posts as it prompts. This aids with site searches and google searches. Edited/updated.

model-year-TBF.jpg

Hey Steve, band adjustment is not a terrible deal. If my memory serves me the only special tool needed is an inch pound torque wrench.

Just continuing to work through little things to clean up/replace/adjust on my new-to-me 56, and next up seems to be a bit of transmission stuff. I know next to nothing about automatic transmissions, so now is when I start to get a little leery of things, *but*...

Occasional "clunky" or "hard" shifting from 2-3, and now that we've adjusted the throttle control linkage so that the kickdown works, from 1-2. The Ford-o-matic (I love that name :)) manual Troubleshooting grid seems to indicate that (one of) the most likely cause(s) is the rear band needing adjustment. Can anyone tell me how difficult or easy this is to do? The manual indicates that it needs some special tool...is that true? Any advice, warnings, etc.?

I'm willing to give it a go if it's reasonably simple, fairly easy to access, and hard to do something bad that causes a much more expensive repairs; on the other hand, I'm also willing to pay someone to do it if that's a better option.

Any help or advice is much appreciated!

Steve
56 Fiesta Red
Remove the pan. Loosen tear band adjusting locknut. Loosen adjusting screw 3 turns. Place a length of 1/4" square key stock between the adjusting screw and the lever. Tighten up the adjusting screw to remove all clearance between the screw and the lever. Then thighten the screw 1/4 of a turn tight. Tighten the lock nut. Replace pan. Add oil and ready to fly.

No pan removal needed, but it might be easier. The reverse band adjuster is accessible via a plug in the transmission tunnel inside the car. Loosen the lock nut 3 turns. Turn adjustment screw in til it stops. Torque it to 10 ft/lbs. Now back the adjustment screw out EXACTLY 2 turns. Tighten jam nut
I didn't have the special Ford tool so I used this procedure shown on the AACA website after an internet search.

Back