1955 292 timing marks

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
zeroroadkill

zeroroadkill

BlackBird Fly
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Which mark is the real one!
On my damper pully there are not just one grove but a few! Which one is TDC?

B54B12DE-9BC1-403F-98C6-9EB32CB6A792.jpeg

clean the area of the marks. you will see that one of them is longer and goes from one side of the ridge to the other while the rest of the marks are only about half that link. The long mark is TDC

Thanks I guessed that. I tested it at TDC but used the distributor. Should have pulled #1 plug! Runs great at 6° BTDC. Since I’m at 2600’ I might try 7°BTDC. They say advance 1/2° For every 1000’ of elevation.

The circle on the damper pulley is TDC and every mark before that is 2 degrees before TDC.

(See attached)

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Timing Marks.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The circle on the damper pulley is TDC and every mark before that is 2 degrees before TDC.

(See attached)

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
So if I was using my mark as TDC and timing to 6° BTDC then I’m 12°BTDC???

The white mark on your picture is at 8° BTDC. Also. remember that you have to remove the metal vacuum advance line from the distributor and the idle speed should be at 500rpm while setting the ignition timing.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Yup
Previous owner marked it 6°BTDC
I thought that was TDC mark like we always did. So I added 6°BTDC to that mark, now I'm 12°BTDC w/87 octane no E fuel at 2600’ elevation. No pinging! Runs sweet!
Guess I’ll back off 5°

Mine likes 12 degree advance. Little larger than stock cam, likes idle at about 750rpm in park or neutral, then 500rpm in gear.

I remarked the marks on the pulley and timed it to 7.2°BTDC (adjusting for altitude) at 500rpm’s idle, vacuum disconnected (17lbs) and 450rpm’s in gear. Stock 292cid.

I agree and it looks like TDC is the one marked. Each other groove is is 2Deg before TDC.
OK on further review I didn't see the other marks to the left of the paint and had the rotation of the pully reversed. I'm surprised there is no pre-ignition advancing the timing that far.

Yup
Previous owner marked it 6°BTDC
I thought that was TDC mark like we always did. So I added 6°BTDC to that mark, now I'm 12°BTDC w/87 octane no E fuel at 2600’ elevation. No pinging! Runs sweet!
Guess I’ll back off 5°
Bought advanced timing light, set distributor to TDC #1, piston tdc, marks lined up to the deep mark. Set light to 7°BTDC and dialed in the timing.

Back